The Invisible Friend | Teen Ink

The Invisible Friend

September 5, 2014
By bella-flower BRONZE, Corpus Christi, Texas
bella-flower BRONZE, Corpus Christi, Texas
3 articles 3 photos 0 comments

The invisible friend

 

At six years, I was as real as anybody could be. The boy, my boy, treated me the same as everybody else. Those days at the park fighting dragons, the dinners with his family laughing and talking with me like I was a life long friend of theirs, are the times I believed would never be forgotten.

Things started to change at eight, my boy acted like I didn't exist when he was around his friends, and tried to ignore me at home, and I thought that it was just a phase.

At twelve it got worse, he didn't need me anymore, and it showed.

I was occasionally in his dreams, and though we weren't together often I knew we only had a short time left together, my boy was growing up, and I was disappearing.

Today I watched him getting married. It was only for a moment, and even though I may be gone forever after this. I enjoyed the time we spent together. He may forget me, or act like I never existed. He was picked on, and bullied because of me. Some people thought he was crazy, but I was there during the most important years of his life, and I was able to see for myself that he turned out just fine.

Perhaps someday his son or daughter will need me, and I will come running.