Shark Week: The Other Side of the Story | Teen Ink

Shark Week: The Other Side of the Story

By Bterr17 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Bterr17 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Sharks. Everyone knows them, water breathing, ocean traveling, fear inspiring! But what do these marvelous creatures do every day? Well I, Gerald Waterbreather, a shark, am here to tell you just what us Great Whites do all day. We dedicate our lives to becoming famous! Maybe not all sharks, maybe not any sharks, but I do! Shark week is a huge hit every year and It’s not like they play the same documentaries every year just with a different title or anything. They’re always looking for the bigger and better shark, and that shark will be me. I’m very interesting! How many other sharks do you know of that are on the vegetarian diet? Surely that’ll get me a show on shark week! Despite my efforts before, they still choose to ignore my talented, friendly games I play every year! I know how much the humans love to explore the ocean, so I always try to help by grabbing at their legs when their swimming and taking them deep into the depths they have trouble reaching! Past experiences tell me they’re not big fans of close contact, so I try to give them a good natured nudge on their boat, and they all freak out! They start screaming, and video taping! Next thing I know, 4 other life boats are speeding out towards me ready to fire! I’m just trying to get noticed! What do I have to do to get my own show? Submarine gets a two hour special for simply sitting still while he hunts! Laziest guy I know, and he gets his own show! Megaladon gets his own robot look alike and the dude’s 100 tons. I’m sorry, but that just doesn’t seem like a healthy life style to me, staying trimmed and fit is the best guarantee to a longer lifespan! I’m just a bit salty about the whole Shark Week thing, and it’s not because I live in the ocean. I’m a simple shark looking for a little bit of fame, but I want to be known for being myself. I probably could have made Hollywood if I took the part in that movie ‘Sharknado,’ but I would have had to be my own stunt double and I can’t risk harming this beautiful fin. I just keep my hopes up because I know someday, the world will appreciate a kind, caring, vegetarian shark who likes to watch his weight and play friendly games with boats. We aren’t all blood thirsty, vicious, flesh eating killers. That gets old anyway! Violence has never stayed popular for long! It’s just a shark eat shark world out here, but one day I’ll be at the top of the food chain! I’ll be a star! Just you wait Andy Samburg, you’ll love me someday. Until then, I’ll just keep my hopes up, my dreams big, and my meat intake limited! 

We all love Shark Week! Who doesn’t love learning about the scary man eating creatures that lurk in the unknown depths of the sea? But how does shark week affect the sharks? How do the sharks feel about their families, friends, brothers, themselves being tagged and studied for all the world to see? Well, Great White Shark Gerald Waterbreather fills us in as to why he’s a bit salty about the whole thing, and its not because of the water he lives in.