A Moment Alone | Teen Ink

A Moment Alone

By Ann Horie SILVER, Surrey, Other
Ann Horie SILVER, Surrey, Other

I guess some might say it's a feeling of no control and I guess some might say it is a feeling of contentment.

I was sitting on the edge of the water, dipping just one toe in to test the temperature. It felt like an ice berg and I questioned jumping in. What if its the wrong decision, what if I regret it immediately? The cold water won't be reaching its tiny fingers out to just my big toe any more, the cold water will have opened its arms big enough for me to fall right into.

I didn't move, I just stayed sitting on that slippery rock staring at the surface of the water. My thoughts were loud but my mind was blank as I watched myself in the outer rim of the water. My eyes were taking a picture of the shaky reflection my silhouette left behind on the blue hues of the water. It was beautiful, yes it was beautiful.

The earth was silent, and I could finally here myself think. Sometimes all a person needs is some time away from all the noise, the chaos, the constant irritation of the city clouding your thoughts. There is something so delicate about the undisturbed beauty in the forest. The peaceful surroundings are like a clean slate, an unborn baby that hasn't seen the unseemly world we live in. So innocent, and calm, its hard to not to enjoy the tranquillity the earth can bring as you breath in the purified air.

So I wonder, yes I wonder, how do you know you are making the right decisions in life? How do you know what will be best for you? Well the truth is, you don't and you won't. Your life is a clear canvas and you get to paint your own picture. You might start out unable to be the artist you had pictured yourself being. Your drawings will be crooked and you will colour outside the lines sometimes, but in the end practise makes perfect. Soon your work will turn into something so vast because it will be unique to your life. Our life paintings are like a finger print, all so different yet all so similar. So keep painting because eventually you'll love what you see.

The hours pass by and I am still sitting upon that greasy rock. I felt like a frog taking a nap on his favourite lily pad. So content in my surroundings I could stay forever and make this my new home. The clean air brought me peace, I felt so content as though I could finally hear myself think. I was letting the anxiety wash itself away , to completely empty my negative thoughts. It was a beautiful moment. I could finally feel myself relax, I could breath again. I was able to clearly realize that I don't have to answer all my questions at once.