Two Lonely People

The sky was a casual blue as the girl ambled through the forest. She walked over rocks and sticks and debris from the war. It was over yet somehow it still held its hand around her neck as her remaining family members perished. When she finally reached a cave she stopped. She sat looking into the entrance and she waited. And waited. And waited. When the casual blue turned into an exciting mash of red she sighed. Then she picked herself up and walked back the way she came. The next day she came back and sat until the sky turned red. And the next day. And the next day. Then she never came back. No one came back.
The roof was a lonely black as the boy ambled through the cave. He walked over stones and animal poop and debris from his lonely life. No matter how much he talked to himself the silence was never filled. When he finally reached the mouth of the cave he stopped. He sat looking into the exit and he waited. And waited. And waited. When the dark cave became darker he sighed. Then he picked himself up and walked back the way he came. The next day he came back and sat until the cave turned dark. And the next day. And the next day. Then he went outside the cave. There was no one. There was never anyone.