Thawing a Frozen Heart | Teen Ink

Thawing a Frozen Heart

By TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California
TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California

"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."- Edgar Allan Poe

The world is like a icy pool with no way out. I feel like a creature trapped under the frozen lakes. Only...the winter never ends. My hair is frozen among its tangled tendrils and my lips have long ago lost their blushing color. I can see outlines above the ice, through my frozen over eyes. A white dress clings to my frosted skin from a warm era that even I can no longer remember. I focus my eyes on the shadows of reeds and tall oaks around my frozen prison. A new layer of ice creeps stealthily over my yearning pupils and my world once again goes dark.

My eyes flick open, breaking through my ice eyelashes. I fix my eyes ahead at the surface of the ice as usual. There stands the oaks, the pines, the old beeches. But wait...a new shadow? Perhaps a animal? A tear slips from my eye and freezes immediately. Probably another storm is to come and I will still be forgotten. Casting my eyes back to the surface, the form moves. Features come into view as it leans over my freezing encampment. A face, short hair, and male. Impossible! Weren't all men wiped out by the sadness of my own heart?

The figure with masculine physique reaches his hand down through the ice, warmed water droplets sliding gently along his hand. My wide eyes follow his every movement. He never makes erratic movements or jerks. Everything is simply smooth and surreal. He trails his hands along the edge of my dress, and with this, melts the water around me. Water drips down my face, combining with my past tears. His hand is close to mine. My heart beat slows when I remember the pain and sorrow of ages ago. Could things really change? I twitch my fingertips at first, then tentatively reach my hand and rest it in his.

With this, my icy chamber releases me and the mysterious figure pulls me up to him. He picks me up and looks into my eyes. Grey eyes meet mine and match our surroundings. He doesn't even speak. One of his hands is holding me close and the other is stroking my damp hair. I rest my head on his shoulder and whisper just a few words. "Thank you for finally saving me."

Everyone has known this feeling at some point.