I Love Being Alive | Teen Ink

I Love Being Alive

By TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California
TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California

"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."- Edgar Allan Poe

“This is so stupid!” Jake muttered to himself as he walked into the city park. Why couldn’t Aaron have taken me with him? He knows I love paintball! Jake kicked angrily at the pebble path and trudged through the grass to the duck pond. Climbing up onto a boulder in the shade of a leaning oak, he perched on the uneven stone. Letting his head rest on his knees, he watched the ducks chase each other and imagined himself winning the paintball match.

Laughter startled Jake out of his sleep. Almost falling off the rock, he caught himself and looked around. I must have dozed off, I guess. He thought as he scanned the area for the source of laughter. The sun had risen into the sky and it cast a glowing sheen over the pond. Ducks were resting in the shade and most people had left this part of the park. Jake’s eyes slowly fell on a figure on the other side of the pond, blurred in the sunlight. Another wave of giggles erupted from her.

Jake walked sluggishly to the other side of the pond. As he drew closer, he realized the figure was a girl about his age. She was laughing and standing on a rock in the water. Not minding the dirty sludge around her feet, she kept smiling at the ducks swimming near her. Every time one went under with its rear end in the air, she laughed with a laugh like wind chimes tinkling. Jake stood on the shore awkwardly when he was a few feet from her.

“Uh, hey! What are you doing? I mean, they’re just ducks…” Jake called with a usual chill attitude he had with girls. The girl turned to face Jake. Her light brown hair hung still in the summer air; her honey colored eyes seemed to dance at the sight of a boy before her. Then, she smiled a bright smile that made her eyes crinkle up.

“But they’re not just ducks! They’re life too, you know. They’re alive!” Her words bounced with happiness and she jumped off the rock, landing barefoot on the sandy ground in front of Jake. She brushed off her knee-length skirt and smiled again. “Hi, I’m Glory! Nice to meet you!” Glory stuck out her hand with a friendly nod.

“Hey, I’m Jake.” He awkwardly shook her hand, but smiled back. The girl’s hands were surprisingly cold. That’s what she gets for playing with that nasty water. He thought as he let go of her smooth hand.

“Jake huh? What a cool name! Now that I’ve finally met someone, will you help me have fun today?” She inquired in her soft voice. Jake, too confused to speak, just nodded uncertainly. “Yay! C’mon, help me catch some frogs!” Glory said as she beckoned Jake to follow her to the canal that fed the duck pond. What a sweet boy. Glory thought with a happy sigh.

What a weird girl! Jake thought as he followed Glory through the reeds.
***

“So, why do you wanna have so much fun today? Is it special or something?” Jake mumbled as they sat in the grass by the canal. There was no shade here and the sun beat down on his blonde hair. Glory glanced up from the frog she was holding and a dark look came over her.

“Mhm. Yeah, I guess it sorta is.” Glory smiled at Jake again. “Well, it is now because of you.” She laid the frog in the grass and Jake did the same with the two he was holding. Glory placed her hand on top of Jake’s and let out a single soft laugh. Jake felt a blush come over his cheeks, but he felt something different than with other girls.

“You’re really sweet, you know. Don’t ever let anyone get you down, okay Glory?” Jake said as he stood, brushing off his jeans in the process. He walked a few steps toward the path again, but looked back suddenly. “And I’ll do my best to make sure you have fun today.”

Glory’s smile broadened at his words as she jumped up and skipped after him. Her feet fell lightly, almost without a sound because of her light frame, on the sun-warmed grass. A shy breeze rose up, flinging her hair back as she skipped and filling her with fresh summer smells. By the time she caught up with Jake, he was buying her an ice cream from the truck in the parking lot. He gave it to her with a smile and sat on the red bridge over the canal. Swinging his legs over the edge, he stared at the fish as Glory sat down beside him. Laying his head on the bar, he reached over and wiped a drop of ice cream off of her nose.

“Glory, why are you all alone today?” Jake asked her suddenly. Glory looked at him surprised, but turned her attention to the sky.

“Life is so beautiful, isn’t it?” She finished off her ice cream and let her bare feet dip into the water. “I missed being alive.”

“Wait what? What do you mean you ‘missed being alive’? You are alive, silly.” Jake said quickly as he stared at Glory.

“Thank you for such a fun day today, Jake. I wish we could have met sooner. If you ever want to find me, I think you know where to look. Just remember, nothing is impossible. Come find me someday.” With a sad smile, Glory let out one more laugh and faded. The sunset splayed violets, pinks, and tinted oranges across the spot where she had sat a moment earlier. Jake jumped up and spun, shouting her name and searching.

However, a presence entered his mind and he knew. He knew. She wasn’t coming back; she had hardly stayed as long as she did. He finally knew his true destination of the day.
***

The sun had set by the time Jake finished meticulously searching through the headstones and memorials in Cottonwood Cemetery. A single, beautiful word stood out to him on a tiny gravestone.

Glory.

I wrote this on a whim. I wanted to create a character that readers would love. That's Glory for you!