The Lonesome Tree | Teen Ink

The Lonesome Tree

June 3, 2014
By Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
13 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred Tennyson


Like an old fashioned movie, the world surrounding me was black and white. Clouds filled the sky and the sun was hidden behind the clouds. Itchy wheat rubbed against my skin as the wind picked up and tore through the huge wheat field I stood in. My eyes shifted down at my legs as I grew frustrated at the itchy wheat. I pulled out my blade and slashed at the wheat but it was to no avail, the wheat instantly grew back. I sheathed my blade and shifted my eyes up to spot an oak tree in the distance, which was a shock to me. I grew with great curiosity as nothing else but the sky and the wheat field were with me. I hesitated at first but then I raced towards the oak tree with delight. I didn't realize but with each step, I grew older and my body grew weaker. Eventually, my now fragile legs gave out and I collapsed to my hands and knees. I managed to lift my head and get one last glance at the oak tree. I had never seen anything so beautiful and it was so close… I reached out for it but my heart then stopped there. I fell against the oak tree and my feet sunk within the soil before it. When my body slumped against the oak tree, a great downpour was casted over this world. The downpour quickly came and then it vanished. My feet were planted in the soil before the oak tree and my body remained here as it became part of the oak tree. No one has ever came across the same oak tree but it has lived forever as a part of me. This tree in the distance was all alone once, just like me.


The author's comments:
One day, this little piece of writing just came to me and I wrote whatever came to mind. I've shared this with quite a few people and all of them get something different from the story, which is what I love. Hope you get something from this story!