Words | Teen Ink

Words

By truecrimekid BRONZE, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
truecrimekid BRONZE, Morrisville, Pennsylvania

The words fell like hail on a cracked street, causing so much damage it was a wonder the world didn't break into pieces. They ripped through her mind and tore it to shreds. She could barely keep herself afloat, she wanted more than anything to sink to the ground. But the words wouldn't let her.
As the words destroyed her, most onlookers laughed. Some looked concerned, but made no move to help her, fearing the repercussions.
She wouldn't let the tears fall. She stood straight, ignoring the fact that she wanted to scream.
UglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyuglyUGLYUGLYUGLY.
If the words would just stop, just for a second, she would be able to pack herself back together.
Of course, the words never stopped. The only reason she didn't hear them anymore was because she turned heel and ran, as fast as her legs would carry her. Her shoes slammed against the ground as loud as freight trains.
She tuned out the shouts and screaming giggles that followed her. She wouldn't let anyone catch up to her. She wouldn't let the words break her.

This is a very short story about how words hurt more than any punch you can throw.