Winged Sighting | Teen Ink

Winged Sighting

By choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other
choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other

"I am selfish. I am brave. I am Divergent."

Dear Diary,
Today was as boring as any other day. Fatigue washed over me at unexpected moments and the torrential rain didn't help; neither did the ticking clock, which seemed louder than usual. My head was filled with continuous clashes and prods of pain as another headache took over my mind. Everything was bleary and the 'spots' on my arms began to irritate, torturing me unrelentingly. The whole world seemed melancholy as boredom hung like a veil across the vast stretch of sea and sky. The choppy sea didn't do much to lighten the mood, dragging the days on forever. It had been quite boring since Tuesday but today was the worst! Nothing interesting ever seemed to happen, other than the fact that, our next door neighbour, Pelayo, had a problem with a crab infestation in his courtyard. Again!
Even the birds seemed to suppress their beautiful singing as the air turned cold and eerie, dark and mystical! however, it had been like that for a few days; at first, the villagers expected something to happen, but soon became uninterested as the suspenseful signs began to diminish. If only there was an adventurous event or something to wipe out the clinging depression amongst the villagers…

Areli

Dear Diary,
You would not believe what happened today! Inhumane events surrounded the village as crowds of people grouped around the cage and the 'thing' inside it… I just happened to be walking aimlessly around the village when I noticed that many people were crowding around, huddled together. Gasps of surprise were distinct and before I knew it, my legs were making their way towards the attention, to see what all the commotion was about. As I neared the 'attraction', a sense of peace and tranquility washed over me, as if cleansing me. The wrought iron cage became more clearer and my eyes widened with sheer shock and alarm, imitating the crowds' expression. Crouched over, a 'man'(if you could call him that!), had his head hanging low, as if tired, while stones hit his bare, yet bruised, back. Strands of silver hair fell to his face as feathers slightly shimmered behind him.

What was he?! A bird? Some sort of mutant?

My mind was pelted with hundreds of questions just like the man with wings was pelted with innumerable stones. Without warning, his wings unfurled, while shuddering as yet another stone flew at him. Shimmering rays of light pierced my eyes, the crowd, once again, gasping, but soon, the blinding rays of beauty diminished and people began to notice the withered, weak and tattered feathers, which had lost their colour. I was trying to decide whether or not to throw something at his to grasp his attention. However, there was no need for that; his head slowly lifted, turning to face me, as if he'd just read my thoughts!

Antiquarian eyes looked deep into my soul as my heart rate instantly increased. Archaic wrinkles ran across his rough face, almost showing the accumulated hardship that was weighing down on his decrepit shoulders. His lips seemed to be moving slightly but all I could hear were the shouts of children and the low whisperings of scared adults. Lifting his arm with a pained expression, as if it was too much effort, he made a strained, beckoning gesture to me. I didn't know what to do!

Oh! I'm sorry. I will have to continue with this later! I've got to go. Mother is calling me to help tidy up. I have to go! Goodbye!

Areli

I decided to do a diary entry in the persona of a fictional character based on the short story, 'A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings'. The character who is writing this diary is actually a very ill, young girl, whose parents are trying to seek a cure…