Field of Black and Green | Teen Ink

Field of Black and Green

“Come on, Baby, don’t wear pink. Every other girl is going to wear pink,” said Devon. June had just walked out of a fitting room where she was trying on prom dresses. Each one elegant in its own way, yet Devon had something bad to say about each one. Marnee glared at Devon and said, “June, that dress is gorgeous on you! Don’t listen to him, he’s an idiot.” June giggled while she looked at her best friend and boyfriend bickering away, and she thought about how fantastic they were. This wasn’t the first dance the threesome had gone to together; they’d been going together since their first dance in middle school. This year would be another great scrapbooking opportunity, June thought to herself.

“I can’t believe how awesome prom is going to be this year!” Marnee chirped on the ride home from the mall.

“I know,” June said, “I heard it’s far away from the city at some old, huge, log-cabin mansion that that rich kid, Benny, is letting us use. We get to have the music as loud as we want! I’m afraid we won’t be able to find it though with how far away it is.”

“Nah, we’ll be fine,” Devon stated confidently.

June glanced back at the beautiful red dress she picked out. It went incredibly well with her brunette hair and her big blue eyes. Plus, it made it easier for Devon to find a deep, red tie instead of a purple or orange one.
The next day at school, the day before prom, students were chattering away about the dance: where it was, who was going with whom, who was wearing what? Everyone was asking June about her dress and exclaimed that she was going to be the prom queen. June just shrugged her shoulders and said that she didn’t deserve it nearly as much as other girls did.

Marnee was going with a jock friend of Devon’s whose name was Jake. The group had discussed where to go to eat, and the girls declared that they needed at least four hours to get ready. The guys just rolled their eyes and went with it. At the end of the day, the four got into Devon’s car and drove home. They’d all need a good night’s rest for the next night of excitement.

The following night, after the wonderful dinner, the two couples got into the car to drive out to the dance. Devon called a few of his friends to find out where they were so that they could follow them, just in case they all got lost. They met up at a gas station and followed their friends. As soon as their tires hit gravel, they knew they were no longer in the city. June’s heart was pounding as she held Devon’s hand. She was having a peculiar feeling about this year’s prom, but she shrugged it off. Just as everyone else was, she was anxious to get to prom and start dancing. They finally met up with Devon’s friends: of course, dumb, cocky, jock guys from Devon’s football team that had to do the normal “take a cheerleader to prom” thing. Thankfully Devon wasn’t like them.

The guys decided to go off the beaten path and find their own way to make the already-interesting night a little dangerous. Guys, of course, don’t like to get, or follow, directions. June just sighed. If the girls were driving, they would’ve just followed the map the school gave them like smart people would, and they’d already be there.
“Why couldn’t we just go on the actual path? We’re going to get lost now you idiot!” Marnee yelled at Devon. Devon just chuckled and so did Jake. Marnee smacked Jake in the chest because he was supposed to be on her side.

There were huge, green patches of trees surrounding Devon’s little sport car. June could barely see the bright, red taillights of the car in front of them.

“Slow down!” shouted June,”You’ll hit a tree!”

Devon laughed once again and squeezed June’s hand tightly in his big football hand and the car proceeded on. The car didn’t seem to be getting anywhere, and Marnee was starting to whine in the back seat about how long it was taking. Ahead there was a big patch of trees. To get to the patch of trees, they had to drive across a field first but the car in front of them oddly seemed to disappear. Without warning, something interfered with everyone’s sight. The car was moving very fast. Devon yelled and cussed, and Marnee was screaming. To June, everything slowed down. She glanced around and saw nothing but blackness surrounding the car. It happened so abruptly that it seemed as if they had run into a strange force like the Bermuda Triangle, only it just affected their sight, but didn’t make them disappear...as far as she knew.

In an instant, as quickly as the dark, blackness had arrived, it went away, but it was too late. Devon couldn’t do anything but try to swerve. Everything was still slow motion and all June could hear was her breath as she closed her eyes while they skidded into the trees. She could feel her body tossing and turning with the car as it rolled over and over again several times. She could hear the sides scraping against the gravel each time the car flipped. She could barely hear the screams anymore from her friends, and she didn’t dare to open her eyes yet. They were still rolling when there was a sudden jolt, and her head flew towards her side window and smashed hard against it as she heard the back right window shatter into Marnee’s lap just after they’d hit a tree. Then suddenly, nothing, the moving car had stopped.

It was dark, very dark. The dust and dirt whirlwind had subdued and the surroundings were becoming more visible as June opened her eyes. All noise had stopped. It was completely silent. The sky was now the Earth, and the Earth was now the sky. June tried to move her arm, but when she did, she was in complete anguish. The stench of blood stung her nose as she looked around the car and the rest of her surroundings. The car was completely upside down and her and her friends’ bodies hung from the seats above them. She knew she needed to get help. She was severely hurt and evidently the only one conscious, but she needed to get help. She thought that maybe her cell phone didn’t fly too far away, and she could call for help using that… if she had service. June dug through everything that she could reach, trying to find someone’s cell phone. She shivered as she saw how much blood was dripping from Devon’s face. She began to search more quickly for a phone, any phone. She reached cautiously under the seat where she felt broken glass and the carpet soaked in blood. Finally, she felt the cold plastic of a rectangular object which she could only assume was a phone. She sighed with relief as a tear ran down her face while she prayed for service. She quickly wrenched it open and felt the cool buttons and hurriedly pushed each button carefully to call for help.

What seemed like hours later, the ambulance finally showed up. June lay outside the car just after the paramedics had to use the jaws of life to get her out of the jumbled mess. She insisted that her friends be helped into the ambulance first, and watched one by one as each of her friends were being pulled out from the car and rushed into the ambulance by the paramedics. She looked at the car and wondered how she had survived the horrible crash. The car was mangled and had looked like it had been impounded at a junk yard. Finally, a paramedic took June’s eyes away from the crumpled metal object, placed her in the ambulance, and took her away from the horrific scene.
As the doors to the vehicle were being shut, she heard a police officer shout, “There’s another car! There’s another accident just through the trees there!” She instantly trembled again realizing it was Devon’s jock friends in that car. It was the car that mysteriously vanished for a few short minutes just before theirs.
June woke up later in the hospital, drowsy, and achy. She had a little bit of amnesia at first, but a few hours later she remembered what had happened and demanded the first nurse she saw, to tell her how her friends were. The nurse, a mousy, little woman who looked like she was scared out of her wits, kneeled down by June’s bed and warily told her that her friends were announced dead at the scene. June started to cry and didn’t want to stop. Tear after tear rolled down her face, gushed down her face. She lost all control of her body, of herself. She began to become hysterical.
She closed her eyes and heard screaming. Confused, she opened her eyes and realized it was her own screaming. Peculiarly, she was in her own comfy bed at home and on the edge of her bed was her distressed cat looking at her as if she was angry with how much interruption that had been done to her own sleep.
“Oh, it was just a dream,” she sighed, “Well, more like a nightmare, I suppose.” She crawled out of bed as she wiped the cold sweat off her brow that had appeared from all the tossing and turning from her dream. She then went to call Marnee and tell her about her silly dream. As she went downstairs she was laughing and shaking her head at how weird it was to have such a dream. She loved her friends, what would make her have a dream about them being killed in a car accident? She then looked down and saw a strange, long white scar on her leg. She looked at it in confusion and couldn’t remember it from the night before. It was big and looked like it had been healed for a while. It was even a little faded. She began to think more about it and thought she would remember how on earth she could get a scar that huge. As she went through the kitchen to her phone to call Marnee, she passed the shiny, bright white fridge and something made her stop in her tracks. She gaped open-mouthed at what appeared on the fridge. She had no words to say, she felt like she had just been hit in the chest with a baseball bat. She couldn’t breathe, she just kept staring. She walked over to look at the fridge more closely, and she began shaking her head and saying “No…no…no.” There on the fridge were the three obituaries of her friends.