Alone | Teen Ink

Alone

By lucky_lemon BRONZE, Hemet, California
lucky_lemon BRONZE, Hemet, California

"The end justifies the means."

Imagine a high school student. Male. Tall, wears a Nintendo backpack, carries an instrument around, and walks as if he’s in a hurry to get somewhere. He clearly enjoys video games, and plays an instrument. I’m in three classes with him, and I know that his grades are superb, and he actually enjoys the subjects he learns about in school, yet… there is something off about him.
He is alone. No one beside him, around him, next to him, talking to him. Vacant. Why? Someone like him should have tons of friends, he should be a school celebrity. So I ask myself why is he all by himself? I feel the need to approach him and have a conversation with him, however no one else is. So why should I?
I see him walking in the hallway, this time not alone. A rare sight. He is with a female girl, much shorter than him yet showing much resemblance to him. Maybe his sister? I’ve seen her before. She is quite the opposite to him. Always with a crowd of people, and nearly never alone, but this time she’s not with the popular kids at all. Instead, she’s with her lonely brother. What a nice sister.
Ding dong ding dong, the final bell for the day rings. I spot the boy, with a tennis bag this time. I never knew he was athletic. Maybe if I had a conversation with him earlier I wouldn't be wondering these things. What other things don’t I know about him? Maybe I should talk to him sometime. Then again, no one else is talking to him, so maybe I shouldn’t either.
I see him a third time, this time he is walking home, and so am I. We are on opposite sides of the street, yet walking in the same direction. Oddly, I had never noticed him walk this way before. It is raining outside and he is struggling to carry his instrument, his tennis bag, and his binder all at the same time. I am only carrying a light umbrella. Should I help him carry his things home? He looks quite miserable trying to carry all of those things in the rain. I approach him to help him out and let him walk underneath my umbrella.
“Would you like some help carrying your things?” I ask as I intercept him with my umbrella.
“Yes I would quite like that,” he replies, gently smiling afterword.

I was inspired by the social structure of the school system