The Clique Sequel: All Grown Up | Teen Ink

The Clique Sequel: All Grown Up

There once were five girls named Massie, Alicia, Kristen, Dylan, and Claire. These girls did absolutely everything together. Massie was the leader of their group with short brown hair and piercing green eyes. Alicia’s parents are from Spain so she inherited their Hispanic roots. Kristen is athletic with long blonde hair, usually in a braid and sky blue eyes. Dylan has fiery, curly, red hair and green eyes as well. Finally, Claire with medium-length blonde hair and navy blue almost grey-colored eyes is also part of the group. They all had fabulous lives, and everyone wanted to be like them. They started fashion trends and went to an amazing school. They won over the teachers’ hearts and were pure leaders. They called themselves “The Pretty Committee”.

The girls grew up and remained best friends. They got married and conveniently got pregnant on more or less the same month. Each of them had a baby girl. Massie’s daughter was named Lizzie. Dylan’s daughter, who inherited her fiery red hair, was named Chloe. Alicia who decided to use a Hispanic name chose Alexandra as her daughter’s name. Alexandra was a Spanish beauty just like her mother. Kristen’s daughter was named after her favorite athlete’s wife, Victoria. All the other girls called her Vicky. Claire decided to give her daughter a simple name. She finally decided that Annie was the right name for her.

The girls got older, and were practically attached at the hip. They even called themselves the “Young Pretty Committee”. They would shop, have sleepovers, and tell each other absolutely everything. The Young Pretty Committee was exactly as their moms were when they were their age.

They led their normal lives until one day when they decided to have a girl’s day. Their moms took them to the spa and then they went to the mall afterwards. They were having a great day until Massie, Dylan, Alicia, Kristen, and Claire got into an argument. It turns out that they were fighting over something as stupid as a cashmere blanket that they all wanted. There was only one in stock and all the moms wanted it. Their daughters stared at them in disbelief. They had seen their moms get into fights before but none of them seemed this serious.

The following day at school the girls were commenting on how stupid their moms were acting. On their way to Third period the girls saw Alicia, Alexandra’s mom, coming out of their classroom. It turns out she had a parent-teacher meeting at the school. When Alicia walked out of the classroom and saw her daughter talking to her so called “enemies’” daughters she immediately pulled her daughter to the side. She whispered to Alexandra,”How could you be talking to them?!” Alexandra responded, “Mom, they’re my friends! How could I not talk to them?” Alicia told her that she was forbidden to speak to them.

The girls came to school the next day and told each other everything that their moms had told them the night before. None of them were allowed to speak to each other. They all went home and complained to their parents about not being able to speak to their best friends. They all got the same answer, “No speaking to them!”

Again they saw each other at school. They all had the same classes so they couldn’t avoid each other even if they wanted to. They met at their usual lunch table in the café. They sat at table number eighteen, the table their moms had sat in years before them, in silence. Lizzie channeled her inner alpha, which she inherited from her mother, and broke the ice.

She sat at the head of table number eighteen and addressed all the girls. She told them, “Listen, we have to get our moms back together or we’ll never be able to speak to each other ever again!” They all came up with plans to get their moms to be friends again. Chloe suggested that they all plan another spa day and get them together, but it was rejected. Alexandra suggested that they all go on a trip to Spain to get them together, but it was also rejected. Vicky suggested that they go watch a soccer game, but since none of the girls liked sports, it was turned down. Annie had the best plan of all. She knew what all the moms had in common, SHOPPING!

Each of the girls asked their moms to take them to the mall. Via text message the girls communicated and met up at Nordstrom in the shoe department. The girls “accidentally” bumped into each other by pure “coincidence”. After several weeks of not speaking to each other, the mothers finally had to face one another. So right there, in the middle of the shoe department at Nordstrom’s, the women made up and wondered how they let something as minute and unimportant as a cashmere blanket, almost wreck their friendship.

The End!

CSteger said...
on Jan. 10 2021 at 10:25 pm
CSteger, Canoga Park, California
The physical descriptions of the girls were predominantly incorrect. Interesting premise, but it never would have worked. Massie would have gotten the blanket. No arguement, no contest.

JE said...
on Nov. 23 2008 at 10:40 pm
A cute story with a good ending and an excellent message, Ali. One example of how sometimes kids can have more common sense than their parents. I loved it. Congratulations!

Christine said...
on Nov. 23 2008 at 4:43 pm
This was a great piece. The use of precise word choice really took the piece over the top. Very impressive writing!

MB said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 6:36 pm
WoW... A published author! I enjoyed the story every much. Keep writing :)

EH said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 3:10 pm
I am very impressed. You seem to write like you speak, very descriptively!!

Suzette247 said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 2:47 pm
Impressive! What an accomplishment. I love the descriptive way you described the characters. I could totally picture them.