Mary speaks to elizabeth | Teen Ink

Mary speaks to elizabeth

November 9, 2008
By Anonymous

Dear Elizabeth,

I write you this letter encouraging you to think over the attentions that Mr. Collins has obviously been giving you. You may be somewhat flattered, so please read this with as open a mind as possible.

Mr. Collins’ father did not like our family, and the fact that Mr. Collins attempts to reconcile with us now shows his amiable nature, and he did write that letter so eloquently. An “offered olive branch”, as he put it. He is so polite, always complimenting, always apologizing too. Now, I do not believe him long-winded at all, as you put it, and yes I was listening. Just because I like to read, and do not find as much joy in prattling as Lydia, does not mean I do not exist. His reassurances and respects, again and again, prove his unceasing humility. Not only does he speak well, like a gentleman, but you cannot disagree that he read Fordyce’s Sermons with such emotion and well-placed diction as to engross the attention of everyone. I was quite upset when he refused to read more due to Lydia’s rude behavior, as I am sure you were equally distraught. But Mr. Collins is the very picture of a gentleman, and he is so knowledgeable of noble behaviors. Why, he even saw fit to address Mr. Darcy in person at the ball, and to, naturally, convey his apologies, and thanks; I myself would never have thought that to be the correct gesture in such a setting, but one can never understand the subtle gestures of nobility. Mr. Collins also danced perfectly well at the ball. He had such good rhythm and lightness of foot; I am sure you found him an easy partner to dance with.

Now, I know, Elizabeth that you do not think well of rich people, but Mr. Collins has a most advantageous connection to the highly respected, Lady Catherine de Bourgh. The fact that we have never heard of her before means nothing; Mr. Collins continually assures us of her good graces, and generous hospitality; the lady Catherine even condescends to ride by his house sometimes in her carriage. I honestly do not know why you think she is haughty or pompous at all; I think she sounds most agreeable.

In short, I warn you to reject Mr. Collins’ proposal of marriage, if he is so honors you with one. It is my dream that I might be asked to be his wife in the event that you decline, and, honestly, you could never be a minister’s wife Lizzy; you are far too prejudiced against people. Besides who would he marry instead, Charlotte?