Ring around the Rosie | Teen Ink

Ring around the Rosie

By KatieMae2015 GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania
KatieMae2015 GOLD, St. Marys, Pennsylvania

"Today children we are going to play ring around the roses." Said the brainy, plump teacher with square blue glass pushed up to the bridge of her nose. Pushing her short dark chocolate hair our of her eyes, there was a tall lump shaped child in the middle of the circle waving his hand aggressively.
" Isnt it ring around the rosy"
"No little boy, it's not. Do you know that this song was actually created because of a bubonic plague." I announced annoyed at his interruption.
"Ummm... no."
"Well you do now."
"Yes mam." Sensing my mood
"Anyway children, let's continue. The first line of the song is ring around the roses. Then it's a pocket full of poses, ah-tisoo, ah-tishoo, we all fall down. Everybody repeat what I just said." I listened to the little children's small voices repeat my words in somewhat unison.
"That's not right" shouted the tall lumpy boy with his arms crossed in the middle of the group of kids."
"Ohh yeah how so?" I screeched at the little boy who took a couple of steps backwards.
"It goes like this ring around the rosy, a pocketful of posies, ashes, ashes we all fall down!"
Ignoring his changes to the song I continued. "Ok now let's do the motions as well. Everybody join hands, dance around in a circle, pretend to sneeze, then pretend to fall down and get up again."
" I give up!" Said the tall lumpy kid who stormed out of the room in a hurry.