PHOENIX | Teen Ink

PHOENIX

By KittyKitty22 BRONZE, Point Pleasant, West Virginia
KittyKitty22 BRONZE, Point Pleasant, West Virginia

~*:*-sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something-*:*~

Some people really like doing things. Some people really don’t like doing things. Sometimes, there’s nothing else to do but not doing things. Sometimes you just have to sit and stare.

For Chessie Chollup, it was one of those times. She sprawled across her bed, her pants a little too baggy and her shirt all twisted up. Her only company was silence.

It was hot. Arizona was a hot place. You could sit outside and see the blacktop wavering and try to blink it from your eyes. Everything was in oranges and tans and reds.

Chessie turned over on her bed, and then again and again. Her shirt was wound up to her chest now. Her hair was too short to be messy, but she could still feel sweat leaking down her neck.

Just then, Chessie’s twin brother, Harry, knocked on the door.

“Come iiiiiiiiiin,” Chessie drawled. She sat up and pulled her shirt down. Harry opened the door and carried two popsicles over to his sister.
Chessie and Harry looked the same. Exactly the same. Chessie was a little shorter, and her hair was cut in a way cuter way than her brother’s, and her body was taking a more feminine shape lately, and recently she had less hair on her toes, but other than that, they were the same. Pale green eyes. Dark brown hair. Nice tan skin. Up until Chessie’s fifteenth birthday, they had looked exactly exactly the same.
“Purple or red,” Harry asked, holding the popsicle’s out.

“Purple is gross,” Chessie said, grabbing the red one.

“I like the purple, thanks,” Harry said, sticking out his tongue. “Dad’s taking me to my baseball game in a little while, you wanna go?”

“I think I’ll stay here and be hot and miserable indoors.”

Harry shrugged. “Your choice.” He ruffled Chessie’s hair and closed the door as he left.

Chessie stood up and opened the window. Maybe that would cool the room down a little. The popsicle was already helping.

She waved to her brother and dad out the window as they drove away. She didn’t understand how anyone could be playing sports in this awful heat, but Harry was used to it. He’d been doing it for years.

Chessie threw herself across the bed again, popsicle stick in the trash and mind practically melting. Hot heat. Heat so hot. Very hot.

Very hot heat.

And then the phone rang. Chessie stubbed her toe on the way to the living room, hobbled in and snatched the phone off the wall. “Hello?”

Nothing but the beep tone.

“It was definitely ringing,” she grumbled, taking it with her to her room. Nothing else was going to stop her from doing absolutely nothing.

Well, except that she had to pee. She went to the bathroom just down the hall and was very surprised to hear a loud thump coming from her room.

“No no no no pleeeeease no I’m not equipped for this oh no no.” Chessie grabbed the hairspray from the sink and crept out of the bathroom, down the hall as quietly as she could, and kicked open her bedroom door (maybe not the best idea).

Standing there was the pinnacle of perfection. The epitome of elegant. The most hottest boy Chessie had ever laid eyes on, and this was Arizona. There was no low supply of hot boys, temperature wise.

This specific boy was standing next to the window, staring at her with dark eyes. His skin was dark and freckled, his hair a bright bright blaze of red sticking up on his head. Like, cherry red. His eyebrows matched.

“I will hurt you very badly get OUT OF MY HOUSE PLEASE RIGHT NOW.”

“You’re very adorable,” the boy said.

“Please oh my God please leave don’t make me call the cops just go.”

“No, uh, wait. I’m sorry.” The boy scratched his head. “I’m Phoenix. I might need a little help.”

“It involves drugs, doesn’t it?” Chessie said, holding the hairspray up like a weapon.

“No, no I don’t think so. I’m not sure. I woke up and actually, I don’t know my name, but I saw the word “Phoenix” and it sounds nice. And some people were following me.” Phoenix was wearing a dirty, large yellow tee shirt and and gray shorts. Also dirty.

“I don’t believe you. I bet it’s drugs. Go away.” Chessie stared at Phoenix, quite meanly I might add, but he didn’t move at all.

“Please help me—”
“I SAID TO LEAVE.”
They stared at each other.
“I’m really thirsty,” Phoenix said, wringing his hands.
Chessie looked at him for a little bit longer. “Follow me.” She walked backward down the hall to the kitchen, watching Phoenix the whole time. He was tall. A lot taller than Chessie. And slim, like her brother. His clothes hung on his body.
Chessie led him slowly to the kitchen, her eyes narrowed. She ran into a couple walls, but they eventually made it. She handed him a water bottle from the fridge and wiped the sweat from her forehead.
Phoenix took a drink. “It’s hot outside.”

“Yeah.” Chessie leaned against the counter, her hairspray no longer a weapon. “What exactly do you need help with?”

Phoenix twisted the lid on. “Um.” He looked over at Chessie. “I’m not sure.”

“Well, my dad will be home in like an hour, so—”
“Shh!” Phoenix ran over and put his hand over Chessie’s mouth. “Wait. I hear something.”
Chessie began reaching for the hairspray again when she heard another crash in her room. “Goddammit,” she whispered, reaching for a pair of scissors instead, but Phoenix grabbed her and ran out the front door.
“What the hell are you doing?” she asked, dashing across her front yard with the strange boy. “I don’t have any shoes on!”
They circled around to Chessie’s window, and Phoenix peered in. “Those are the people after me. They’re going in the hallway. Quick, grab some shoes, we need to go!”
Chessie pulled her arm away. “I can’t just go somewhere!”
Phoenix was bouncing up and down. “You can’t stay either!”
Chessie turned in a circle and threw her arms up in the air with a grunt of frustration. “Good point!” She climbed in the window and grabbed a pair of sandals, climbed out, fastened them on, and took off running.
The Chollups lived near a couple people, but not exactly in a neighborhood. Phoenix and Chessie ran as down the street, past kids in pools and parents fanning themselves.
“Do you think,” Chessie said, gulping for air, “they’ll hurt anyone else?”

Phoenix shook his head. “I don’t think so. They’re after me.”
They were only five minutes from the baseball fields, where Chessie could get to her dad and brother, and maybe get some help.

They ran like that for a bit until Chessie nearly collapsed. They were at the park, just a little while away from the baseball fields. She crawled under a tree, Phoenix with her, their breath ragged and their throats burning.

“I’m. Going. To. Die,” Chessie said, rubbing the sweat off her forehead.

“Yeah, you are,” another voice said, and Chessie got the coldest of cold chills despite the heat.

She looked up and saw Emmett Youngman, Carl Waters, and Neil Sanchez. All three boys played basketball together, made trouble together, and picked on Chessie together. Emmett seemed to take the most pleasure in crushing poor Chessie’s happiness.

“Who’s that?” Carl asked. “Your boyfriend?”

Phoenix looked at Chessie, who wouldn’t look at the boys.

“Well, I hope you know Chester here isn’t quite what he seems,” Neil said, laughing.

“Go away,” Chessie said, her voice breaking.

“Aw, c’mon, you’re seventeen, your voice should have stopped changing by now.” Emmett laughed and kicked some dirt up. Chessie coughed. “You’re just a stupid piece of s***, you know. Boys are boys, and girls are girls. Maybe your mama didn’t teach you that before she—”
Chessie stood up and punched Emmett hard in the nose before he knew what was happening.
“Damn!” Neil said, lunging at Chessie. He knocked her over and punched her face, her cheek swelling. Carl kicked some more dirt at her before he was picked up clear off the ground and thrown against the tree. Neil was pushed five feet away with an ‘oomph’ and then Chessie was gently being pulled up to her feet, blood in her mouth and tears in her eyes. Phoenix held her elbow gently and pulled her behind him.
“Don’t touch her again,” Phoenix said, at least half a foot taller than the tallest of the boys.
Neil pulled himself up and stumbled away, Carl pushing Emmett in the same direction.
Chessie wiped her eyes. “Thank you,” she said, her voice hitching.

“What’s your name?” Phoenix asked, his eyebrows scrunched. “You never told me.”

“Uh, Chessie. It’s Chessie. It, um, used to be Chester.” She looked away and held her cheek.

“You’re a girl?”

“Yes,” Chessie nodded.

“Okay. I just needed to know what to call you.” Phoenix smiled at her and held his hand out. Chessie grabbed it and they walked the rest of the way to the baseball fields.

Once they got there, Phoenix pulled her under the bleachers.

“What, what is it?” Chessie asked.

“I saw another one of the people. They all have a white bracelet.”

“Do you think you can hide for a second? I’ll find my dad,” Chessie said, letting go of Phoenix’s hand. He nodded and she walked out pulling her sweaty shirt away from her body. Her feet hurt from running in sandals and her throat felt like it was bleeding. She spotted her dad in the bleacher, his hat covering his stubbled face from the sun.

Chessie climbed up and could see Phoenix between the bleachers. “Hey, dad,” she said, kneeling on the seat in front of him.
“Chessie? What are you doing here? Harry said you didn’t want to go,” Mr. Chollup said, adjusting his baseball cap.
“Well, some stuff happened, and I ran here—”
“Sweetie, what happened to your face?” Her dad leaned forward and touched Chessie’s cheek. “Are you okay?”
“Ow, no, well, listen—some stuff happened and I need your help.”
“Do we need to go right now?”
“Yeah, we definitely do.”
Mr. Chollup stood up. “I’ll get Harry. Meet me at the truck.”
Chessie nodded and went back down the bleachers, but when she got to where Phoenix was, well, he wasn’t there anymore.
“Oh my God no no no PHOENIX?” she yelled, looking around. Near the parking lot, two people were pulling a limp Phoenix to their car.
Chessie took off running. “HEY! Hey,what are you doing with him?”
The people stuck in in the back seat. They both had white bracelets. “He overheated. We’re taking him to the hospital.”
“That’s okay, I can take him, my dad’s a doctor.” Chessie was lying. Her father worked at a furniture store.
“We’ll handle it.” The people shut the door and climbed in. Chessie grabbed at her hair, and started chasing after the car.
“Chessie!” Harry yelled, he was hanging out of the front seat of the truck, their dad behind the wheel. Chessie ran over and jumped in the backseat.
“Follow that car!” Chessie said, pointing out the window.
“What’s this all about, Chess?” Mr. Chollup asked, following the car.

“This boy got in my window and these people were chasing him and threatened Emmett and them for me and he just wanted a drink of water but now they have him and they definitely knocked him out and—”
“Woah, Chessie, slow down! They kidnapped some guy?” Harry said, turning in his seat to look at his sister.
“Yes! He said he couldn’t remember anything, and they just started chasing him!”
“Well, how do you know they don’t mean well?” Mr. Chollup asked.

“WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE, DAD!” Chessie screeched.

“No argument then!” Mr. Chollup said, in hot pursuit. They followed behind for a little while until they got to a traffic jam.

“I’m going to confront them. Harry, come with me,” Chessie said.

“No, Harry, behind the wheel. I’m going with you,” Mr. Chollup said, climbing out of the car. Traffic wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. There was a wreck up ahead.

Chessie nodded. They jogged up to the silver car and she knocked on the window. One of the people, a short man with close-cropped hair, rolled it down. “Yes?”

“You have someone in your car and I would like to know where he will be going and why,” Chessie said, hands on her hips.

“You’re the one from the parking lot,” the man said, and the person on the driver’s side (a tall woman with blonde hair) looked over.

“I’m not going to let you hurt him.” She stared down the man and woman.

“We aren’t going to hurt him.” The woman looked in the backseat. “You two, get in the car. We can’t talk about it like this.”

Chessie looked at her dad. “Might as well, Chess.” He climbed in the backseat and Chessie followed but didn’t close the door all the way (no way they were going to lock her in here).

Phoenix was propped up against the other door, out cold. The man turned around in his seat to look at them. “We aren’t here to hurt him. He escaped from our facility and we need to get him back.”

“Like a hospital?” Mr. Chollup asked.

“Not quite, sir,” the woman said. “This is relatively confidential information, but since you already met him, you know too much to lie.”

“Our facility is a scientific one, where we study the effects of certain genetic adjustments,” the man said.

“This is experiment A712. His mother didn’t know she was pregnant when she underwent part of our program, so she gave him to us,” the woman added, driving forward a little.

“Honestly, 17 years hasn’t been a long enough time to study anything. We need him back to watch for adverse effects.” The man turned up the AC. “NOthing harmful has been done to him under our care.”

“Then why’s he knocked out?” Chessie asked.

“Uh, well, we had to sedate him to get him into the car,” the man said, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Doesn’t sound too humane to me,” Mr. Chollup said. “This boy doesn’t seem to be living much of a life.”

“There isn’t much we can do about that, sir,” the woman said. “We can’t just let him out into the world without knowing what could happen to him. He lost his memory due to complications and that’s when he ran.”

Just then, Phoenix started moving. He blinked.

“Phoenix!” Chessie said, leaning across her father to shake the boy.

“Chessie,” he said. “Where are we?”

“S***,” the man said, preparing another needle. “Get away from him.”

“No! He won’t do anything!” Chessie jumped across her dad and blocked Phoenix from the man. “Don’t do anything, okay, Phoenix?”

“I won’t,” Phoenix said from behind her.

“We need to get him back to the lab,” the woman said.

“The boy can stay with us,” Mr. Chollup said. “You can keep an eye on him if he just stays with us, right?”

The man and woman shared a look. “I…suppose,” the woman said. “We would need weekly visits to ensure everything was going well.”

“Nothing we can’t handle.” Mr. Chollup smiled at Chessie, and she smiled back.

“Oh, uh, how does that sound, Phoenix? You want to stay with us?” Chessie asked, climbing off of him.

Phoenix smiled too. “That would be great.”

Harry came up and knocked on the window. Chessie opened the door.

“Are you guys okay?” Harry asked, examining everyone.

“You have a new roommate!” Chessie exclaimed, climbing out of the car with her dad and Phoenix.

The man sighed with a smile. “The first checkup will need to be tomorrow.”

“Understood. Have a good day,” Mr. Chollup said, waving at the strangers as the family made their way back to the truck.

“Dad, Harry, this is Phoenix. This is my dad and my brother, Harry.” Chessie pointed as she spoke, beaming wide.

“Nice to meet you, Phoenix,” Harry said, turning to shake his hand.

“You too,” Phoenix said. He reached for Chessie’s hand, and she grabbed his. They smiled at each other.

“Hey, dad, it's really hot, turn on the air!” Chessie said. “And can we get some ice cream or something?”

Mr. Chollup laughed. “I don’t know what I’d do without you kids.”

“Eh, you’d probably have twice as much money and three times as much spare time,” Harry said. They all laughed.

And even though it was a really amazing day, it was still hot. But, the super hot boy made up for the super hot day, at least in Chessie’s opinion.

This is a story about a girl and a hot day. It's just a fun little story because I needed to be a little happy.