The Sisterhood of Us | Teen Ink

The Sisterhood of Us

January 24, 2014
By Irish_Charm BRONZE, Cheshire, Connecticut
Irish_Charm BRONZE, Cheshire, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You know, sometimes people don't even know they've fallen until they're on the ground... I'm on the ground for you, Adelaide, and I'm bleeding, but I don't even care because in the end, it's all for you. I love you, Addie." - Caleb


“If you need anything at all, you come and get me. I’m right down the hall. Remember that.” Then I kissed each of my baby sisters’ heads, said, “I love you” to all three of them and left the room, flipping the bedroom light off on my way out. I would expect Nat to come in later on out of the three of them. The eight year old little girl was self-conscious and scared of the dark and she loved snuggling, especially with me. She’s stronger than she thinks she is though.
I walked down the hall to my brand new bedroom that I get all to myself (with the exception of my two pet rats) and climbed in bed. I wouldn’t be falling asleep any time soon. It was only 8:30. I never fall asleep before midnight though I attempt all the time. I’m an insomniac and I can’t just lay down and go to sleep. I’ll be the only one awake if one of the kids wakes up so I told them to come to me if that happens.
I love my sisters with all my heart, though they can be pains sometimes, fighting over things I would die to be arguing over again. That’s my baby doll. It’s my turn now. (though the noise is pretty annoying) I still argue with my sisters but it’s not over toys. It’s stuff like chores and ‘you’d better listen to me cause I’m in charge’. Nothing huge.
I’ve never been comfortable in a new house on the first night. Never, even with all my regular furniture and blankets and everything. I lied on my belly like I usually do and sat and read my books for a little while until I heard a knock on my door. Turning my head toward the door, I checked to see who it was.
As predicted, Nat poked her head in the door, looking nervous. I smiled and pulled the blankets back. She ran across the carpeted floor and hopped up into my full sized bed, snuggling close. “I can’t sleep” She said quietly. She isn’t used to this house either. None of us are. I’m surprised she’s the only other one kept up. Usually Kassady would still be up but I guess she’s exhausted from the move. “It’s always been hard for me to sleep on the first night in a new house. It feels weird, huh?” I felt her nod her head silently. She’s so pretty, I thought, with her curly dark blonde hair and blue-green eyes. I’ve always thought she was pretty.
Her breathing slowed and I noticed she’d fallen asleep. Slowly, quietly, I got up to check on the other two younger ones. As I poked my head in the door, I noticed Liv curled against Aiva in Aiva's big bed, both of them fast asleep.
This is a good house, I thought. This is the perfect house.


The author's comments:
This is a small thing dedicated to my two step-sisters and two biological sisters. We will be moving soon and this is what I imagine might happen on the first night we're at the new house.