untitled | Teen Ink

untitled

“ Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man, OH MAN! I gotta gooooo,” said Johnny anxiously.

Johnny has been standing in line waiting for over an hour. He’s doing this little 2- step jig and people are beginning to stare. I mean, dude looks like he’s going to explode. He’s red in the face , his veins are throbbing in his neck and forehead. It’s actually pretty funny.

“ Haha, I told you, you should have went before we left the house. I swear, if you weren’t my brother, I’d walk away and pretend I didn’t know you, “ I said to Johnny.

“ If you leave, I’m telling Mom,” he said.

“ If you tell Mom, you’ll get in trouble too because you’re going to have to tell her what we’re doing in this line”

I could tell from the look on his face that he just realized the truth to what I’d just said. He didn’t say anything else for about 10 minutes, Johnny just stared ahead. Then he turned to me and said “ I don’t know if I want to do this anymore.”

“Man, are you CRAZY?!,” I exclaimed. “ I have been on this line way too long to just turn around and walk away. There is NO WAY IN HELL, I’m leaving before I get mine. Since you cant go anywhere without me, I guess you’re not going anywhere either…”

“ Well, since I can’t go anywhere…” said Johnny, making imaginary quotation marks with his fingers. “ What are we going to get? I was thinking a huge, green and red dragon on my huge bicep”

“ I’m planning on getting a small heart behind my ear.”

“ Wow you really are a punk”

Before I could react to my brother’s ignorance, I realize it’s our turn. Suddenly I begin to panic. Johnny on the other hand is super excited. A lady directs both of us into chairs in a backroom. They kind of look like dentist chairs. I like the dentist.

“Maybe this won’t be so bad,” I said to myself.

“ Ok, so, who’s first?,” said the lady who showed us our seats.

“She is,” yelled Johnny. “ She wants a corny, little heart behind her ear because she’s a PUNK.”

I continue to ignore my brother and tell the woman that “I want a cute, little heart behind my ear because I think it will look nice”

She nods at me and gets to work. It’s over before I know it. I get up to look in the mirror. Before I can get a good look at my heart, I hear a scream from the next chair. I go running over to check on Johnny. He’s sitting in the dentist chair with tears in his eyes and a small green dot on his right arm.

“I can’t do it. I can’t do it,” says Johnny as he pushes past me and runs out of the room.

As my brother passes me on his way out of the door, I notice a huge dark stain on his pants.

“Oh man, I can’t wait to get to school on Monday,” I think as I laugh to myself. Now people are staring at me.