Good Triumphs Over Evil | Teen Ink

Good Triumphs Over Evil

October 24, 2008
By Anonymous

The water was rising up, splashing against the Eiffel Tower’s sturdy legs. There was no one to save the great city from the flooding water. Men, woman, and children were splashing madly through the water to find safety. Slowly, but surly Paris became more and more submerged in the sparkling blue water. The water was calm and flowing, yet the whole town was screaming and running frantically.

A young girl shrieks, “Look up! What is that, mommy?”

It looked like a woman standing on top of the Eiffel Tower. The people started to yell for her.

“Are you alright?” a man calls to her.

“Ma’am, come down from there!” shouts a police officer on his bicycle.

The woman just lifts her arms and laughs a devilish laugh, “No one is here to save you now! Muahahahahaha!” The water has now reached the shoulders of the people. The children have been picked up and put on the shoulders of their fathers. People are staring to panic, what are they to do?

Now hang on, let me back up a bit to the morning before.


The sun had just risen and a long necked bird sticks its beak into the dirt and pulls out a worm. Flowers had bloomed over night. They stretch up to the sun and ask for life. All is calm in the small town outside Paris.
Today is the day for a young seventeen years old to leave on a journey and find a new life. Before he leaves he goes to his job at the ice cream shop to say goodbye to the town. The town had always loved him; he was a good trustworthy worker, and a kindhearted young man. They were all sad to see him go.

They all believed he could do great things. There was something different about this boy named Reese. He had a power that no one but he knew about. Reese had the power to control water and the things in water, all water creatures loved him, and the creatures were attracted to him and wanted to be around him. They sensed kindness and felt safe around him, and Reese felt safe when he was with them.

Reese also had a weakness (as all heroes do.) His weakness was fire. Earlier in his life, Reese’s parents had been killed in a fire that burned down his house. From then on, that was his only weakness.

After hours of walking Reese reached the top of a hill. Over the hill he saw his destination. The very tip of the Eiffel Tower stuck out over the hill’s sprouting flowers. Reese jumped for joy and sprinted over the grassy knoll. Then he saw it, the Eiffel Tower and all its glory. It was big and exciting. To a boy who had rarely been out of his small town was amazed at this sight.

Reese had checked into his hotel, Hotel Le Marquis. It was just a couple blocks away from the Eiffel Tower. In fact, he could see it from his window. The window from his room on the eleventh floor looked out over Paris and he could see the town’s people walking their poodles with giant bows on their fluffy heads, dinning at fancy French restaurant, and shopping at designer shops along the cobble stone streets.

While all of this was going on with Reese, a woman named Julia was doing something of her own.


The sun was coming up to shin over the city of Paris. Small birds jumped along the sidewalks and little yellow taxis drove through the streets.

Today was the day that Julia decided to move out and leave her life of neglect. She had a very wealthy family. Her parents thought that as long as she had money she would be happy, so they never paid any attention to her. Julia was not an only child. She had an older brother and sister. They seemed to be happy with their lives of getting every thing they had ever wanted except love, but Julia couldn’t stand it anymore.

Julia didn’t want to have to remember he old life, so with her she took only her loyal cat, Fluffers. Fluffers was very fluffy and solid white, his nose was pink along with his six-carrot diamond studded collar. He was her only companion, the only one she trusted.

Julia figured that if she couldn’t have the perfect life then no one should. She was now on a mission to destroy the city. It was a perfect plan; she was going to start a small fire in a rural place where no one ever goes, like the alley behind Elise Pierre’s restaurant, which was only open on holidays, which was not today. The fire would grow strong and untamable with out a soul knowing about it. The entire city would be burned down. An evil little plan it was, she saw no problems with the plan.

Julia had no real fears or powers, unless you call beauty a power. Julia had long straight blonde hair, dark shin and was very thin. All of the men in the city fell into a sort of trance when they would walk by her, but she wasn’t looking for love. She feared love because her parents never gave her any and now she doesn’t know how to react. She is a sad and lonely person.

Julia looked out the bus window as she drove by and saw a man running over the hill with his red curly hair bouncing up and down as she passed.

She got off the bus at the very last stop outside of Elise Pierre’s. In her pocket was a box of matches. The deserted buildings on either side where made of wood in the narrow alley.

“Perfect,” she whispered under her breath. She lit the small match and watched the little flame grow bigger and bigger between the two buildings. There was nothing that anyone can do know. The fire grows to the top of the buildings. It crawls over the top and sucks the building into its burning mouth.

The fire has now run a block down the street. Still no one has noticed. The plan is working. Julia is watching her beautiful red and orange flames crape over a farmer’s crop field from a hotel room at the Hotel Le Marquis. She sits in front of her window of the room on the tenth floor.

There is a knock on the door. Reese stands up from his old wooden chair and answers the door. It is his room service. He had ordered a cup of Lipton tea and slice of the chef’s best chocolate cake.

“Room service for my good sir,” a man in a black and white suit says with a French accent.

“Thank you, just leave the cart and come back for it later please, and when you get a chance I would also love some fresh towels and more of those little mints that were on my pillow.”

“Of coarse sir.”

Reese was having the time of his life. No worries, no place to be, just sit here and enjoy his rich cake and warm tea.

But wait. As he sits back down with his cart of treats he glances out the window and sees what appears to be a fire in the distance. He opened the window and smells in the stuffy smoke filled air.

“How come no one is noticing this?” he think allowed to himself, and with out thinking about the continuances he rushes out of the room and doesn’t even bother trying to wait for the elevator. He learned his lesson when he was taking it up and it stalled for half an hour. He couldn’t risk it; there was a fire that needed to be put out.
As he was running down the stairwell he remembered his parents and the fire that burned down his home and stole his parents lives. He remembered running to stop that fire and not being fast enough. He wasn’t about to let this memory ruin his chance to save the city.
Reese sprinted down the street to catch a taxi, but there were no taxis to be found.
“WAIT!” he called to a man ridding by on his moped.
“I need a ride somewhere, its and emergency. Please?” He said as he climbed aboard.

The tires skid and they are off zooming down the street. They bounce around a corner and are face to face with the massive fire.

“Wow. This is as far as I go, buddy.” The man speeds away on his little bike. Reese is left standing in front of the burning buildings. Think, think, and think some more.

He raised his hand and shouted, “I’ve got it!” and he clamped his hands together and closed his eyes tight.

“SPLASH!” a water line across the street burst and Reese opened his eyes and smiled, “I still got it.” Once again he shut his big brown eyes and another pipe shattered with water spraying everywhere. Reese lifted his hands and manipulated the water drops to float through the air and rain over the growing fire. Slowly, the fire grew weaker and weaker until it was just the little match that had started the big mess.

“What is happening?” Julia looks confused as she comes back from the restroom. “I leave for one second and my fire has died!” She bolts out the hotel’s front door and sprints to find a cab, but just her luck; there isn’t one anywhere in sight.

“What kind of city doesn’t have taxis on every street!?” She says under her breath as she starts to run toward her failed plan.

Julia races around a bend in the road with Fluffers right along side her and sees a young man standing there covered in water. He was holding the tiny match that had once been destroying Paris and now was nothing more than a device to light birthday candles.

“What are you doing back here?” she yells at the man.

“Well I was looking out of my hotel window and say a fire burning so I came to put it out. What are you doing back here?”

“Umm.” Julia can’t think of what to say. Think. “I. I was. I saw the same fire and came to help. Yeah, that’s what happened,” she smirked and looked at the ground.

“Oh, well I got it under control, it’s all good now.” Reese says in a polite voice, as his mother had always thought him to be nice to women. He remembered his mother and father once again and was proud that he stopped this fire from becoming any bigger, and he had done it all by himself.

Reese looked into her deep eyes and saw her beauty. He thought that she was the most beautiful person he had ever seen. At that very moment he feel in love.

She on the other hand was not mesmerized by his handsomeness. Julia I looked at him staring at her with his red curly hair flattened down by the water that was still spraying out the little cracks in the pipelines. He was wet from head to toe and she was not impressed. He looked like a wet dog, and he smelled like one too, probably the mix between his own stink and the smoke from the coals.

Julia could tell that he thought she was attractive, she knew that look. Suddenly a brilliant idea popped into her head.

“This might be way over the line, but would you maybe want to go get something to eat with me?” she said in her sweetest voice. Her new devious plan included kid napping Reese and flooding the city rather than burning it down. There was something different about him, she didn’t know quite what it was, but there was defiantly something.

“I would love to.”

They walked down the street and turned into an alley, “are you sure this is where the restaurant is?” said Reese with a confused look on his freckled face.

“Yes, I am sure. It is a little unknown place. They have to most delicious cinnamon apple cider you will ever have.”

“So, Julia, are you form around here?”

“No, I am from America actually,” lies Julia. She figured that if she was just using him, why not have a little fun.

“Oh, wow. I am from a little city just outside of here,” explains Reese to the beautiful girl. “I never thought that I would end up here in Paris, but I have only been her for a few hours and I have already fallen I love with the city, the people, the shops, and everything else about it.”

“It’s not that great,” mutters Julia.

“What?” Reese says barely hearing her.

“Oh, nothing.”

The alley never seems to end. They have been walking for at least ten minuets and there is still no restaurant in sight. Why would someone put a restaurant way back here in this trashy and deserted alley? This was beginning to seem really odd to Reese.

“Um, Julia, where is this place?”

“Oh, it’s just around this corner.”

“Oh, good. I was beginning to think that there was no restaurant at all. I have really built up my appetite from all this walking, I could really go for some of that cinnamon apple cider you were telling me about.”

As they turned the corner Reese say what appeared to be a homeless person’s house. There were old empty cans, a cardboard box that was just big enough for a grown man to fit in, and some crinkled up news papers. This was most defiantly not a restaurant.

“What is going on here?” Reese asks confused.

“Well, I don’t know. It used to be back here.”

“I know what’s going on here. You lied to me. There was never any cider or even a restaurant. Why are we back here and why did you lie to me?”

“Shut it,” commands Julia loosing the nice voice. “You see that rope over there? Well I am tying you up and flooding the city.”

“What?”

“You wrecked my original plan of burning down the city, so now I am going to flood it, but the little hero won’t be able to save anyone this time because you will be tied up the post and will drown with the rest of Paris!” She yells in an evil voice, and Fluffers meows.

Suddenly Reese didn’t think she was so attractive when she was yelling and threatening her. He just stood there not knowing what to do; there was nothing he could do.

“You started the fire? But Why? Why would you want to destroy this wonderful place?”

“Wonderful? There is nothing wonderful about this city. Nothing.”

Reese never really understood women, one second they are all happy and sweet and the next they want to kill you with their bare hands. He knew there had to be a way he could get out of a rope when she left and just let her think that she has won.

Julia strapped him to the pole with the chain rope, not a regular rope, but chain. Reese did not know how he would get out of the chain. It would be a bit harder to chew through metal than rope.

Julia arrived back to where the fire was put out. The pipe was still spraying a mist of water into the air. CRACK! SPLASH! A huge wave of water burst out of the small pipe and rushed down the road. People started to scream when they saw the giant wave heading toward them.

The wave crashed and drenched the city people in the cold water. They shivered and ran and scattered like ants whose anthill had just been stomped on by a cruel child. They panicked and scattered some more.

“Where is all this water coming from?” Yelled a French man with a mustache.

CRASH! Another pipe burst and pulled the city like a swimming pool. The water was now up to the tummies of the little children. The parents’ frantically pick up their children and hoist them over their shoulders.

As the water is rising fast, Reese is stuck back in the alley and trying to figure out a way to get free and save Paris. Nothing comes to mind. Keep thinking. Fast.
The water was rising up, splashing against the Eiffel Tower’s sturdy legs. There was no one to save the great city from the flooding water. Men, woman, and children were splashing madly through the water to find safety. Slowly, but surly Paris became more and more submerged in the sparkling blue water. The water was calm and flowing, yet the whole town was screaming and running frantically.

A young girl shrieks, “Look up! What is that, mommy?”

It looked like a woman standing on top of the Eiffel Tower. The people started to yell for her.

“Are you alright?” a man calls to her.

“Ma’am, come down from there!” shouts a police officer on his bicycle.

The woman just lifts her arms and laughs a devilish laugh, “No one is here to save you now! Muahahahahah!” The water has now reached the shoulders of the people. The children have been picked up and put on the shoulders of their fathers. People are staring to panic, what are they to do?

Back in the alley Reese, who is still tied to the poll, has come up with an idea.

“I will use my power to control the water to break me free from these chains!” He couldn’t just simply move the water out of the city, but he could use it to his advantage. Reese closed his eyes as he had done before to stop the fire. The water around him slowly morphs into the shape of two hands. The water hands wrap their dripping fingers around chain and snap them in two.

“Wow. Powerful water.” Reese mumbles to himself as he swims to avoid the hobo box and old cans floating away. “Now I can save the city! Once I get out of here that is,” he swims out of the alley and reaches the street where Julia had tricked him and saw that the pipes had all been burst and there was now way he could fix them on his own.

He had to find a way to stop the water from raising anymore and he had to stop Julia from destroying everything in her path. As he looked around for something to temporally stop the water he glanced over at the Eiffel Tower and saw that Julia was standing on top waving her arms in the air and yelling something that Reese couldn’t quite make out.

“What a weird girl,” he swims as fast as he can to get over and get her down.

As he is paddling over he spots a street vendor’s cart drifting down the, what is now a river rather than a street. There is bubble gum in luscious red and pink rappers that say “extra big bubbles” on the side.

“I’ve got it!” Reese yells as he scrambles over to the cart. He unwraps five large pieces of the gum, shoves it into his mouth, and starts chewing.

“What do you have?” asks a young boy sitting on his father’s shoulders.

“I hshdf fdha adea!” Babbles Reese with his mouth full of the extra large bubble gum. He doggy paddles back to where the pipes had burst and examines the giant leeks. Reese slowly pulls out the mound of gum out of his mouth. He holds the sticky pink ball in his hand and shoves it directly into the leeks. The water gushing halts and just simply stops.

There isn’t a sound except for a child crying in the distance. The water stops rushing down the streets and sits still, waiting to be released. There is a lake of unmoving water everywhere you look.

“What a disaster,” Reese whispers.

“What are you doing?” growls Julia

“I’m saving the town, once again. There is nothing left for you to do, just leave. Your reputation has been ruined.” He yells back as Julia walks way in the draining water. Fuffers trails right behind her dragging his wet tail through the murky water. There were only a few inches of water left. Apparently she didn’t think through the flooding idea very well because it was all draining on its own.

Reese had saved the town. Julia had left and there was nothing to worry about. The town cheered as Reese turned the corner from the ally and approached the people. All was good in the city of Paris. That just goes to show that good triumphs over evil.

The End