Alone | Teen Ink

Alone

I didn’t think that things could get much worse. It was dark, cold, and rainy outside, and I was without shelter besides the branches of the trees above me. I had nothing on but a light jacket and a pair of ripped blue jeans. I looked around me; there was no one is sight…I was alone.
I sat listening to the whistling of the wind through the trees for about an hour or so, but then to my better judgment I decided to seek better shelter. I was in constant search of another human being yet in the back of my mind I knew that wasn’t going to happen. Even I was lucky to be alive.
Last night, the plane had crashed somewhere in the ocean and I was the only survivor. I woke up floating atop a piece of luggage. I then swam for, what I would guess to be, about three and a half miles until I hit the shore of this place, this lost island. I was frantic for the first few hours until I realized that it wasn’t going to do me any good. All I could do was sit, pray, and wait.
Once the dawn came I decided to explore; maybe see if I could find any source of food or shelter. I eventually stumbled across a banana tree…which is rather ironic because I abhor bananas. I avoided them at all cost, but when it comes down to life or death you quickly realize that you would eat anything. I found a branch and started to hit the tree in hopes of a bundle of bananas to fall to the ground, for they were much too high for me to reach. Then I heard a “thump”. Those wretched bananas fell to the ground and I picked them up. The smell just about made me gag, but I pulled through and ate two of them. They gave me the strength I needed to continue on my way.
I kept on walking through the jungle like area. All I could hear were the sticks crackling as I stepped over them and the bushes’ leaves rustling as I passed them; though I thought it peculiar when I heard a galloping noise behind me. It was as though someone…or something was chasing after me. Was someone there? Was someone chasing after me? What were they coming after me for? Is it another survivor? I asked myself numerous questions such as these. I didn’t know what to do next, turn around and face this thing; or continue in the direction I was originally heading?
Not only did I continue on my initial path, but I started to jog…run…sprint. Before I knew it I was running as fast as I possibly could. I didn’t know how fast I could run until that moment. The fear and adrenaline inside of me was pushing me to run faster and faster. My conscience was telling me that something was not right.
I was running away for a good five or ten minutes until a huge rock structure stopped me in my tracks. The thought crossed my mind that maybe; just maybe if I could climb to the top of it I would be visible to any planes over head. Maybe I could be saved! I quickly began to climb. I climbed higher and higher until I had finally reached the top, but it was already starting to become dark outside.
Just as I was about to make my bed out of leaves and branches for the night, I glanced over my shoulder and spotted some kind of a cave. I’ve never been so excited to see a cave in my life. I ran over to it and squeezed through the crack in the opening. It was pitch black inside, but I figured it was better than sleeping outside in the cold with no form of protection whatsoever. I lay down on the cold hard ground and was about to fall asleep when suddenly out of the silence of the night I heard footsteps. My heart stopped.
I knew I had to get out of there. It was that thing that was following me earlier. I could tell by the rhythm in its footsteps. I ran for what I thought was the opening of the cave, but instead of exiting, I fell to floor; I just ran into the wall of the cave. Where was the door? I knew it had to be somewhere, but I couldn’t see a thing. I quickly pulled myself together and began to scurry in a different direction. The footsteps became louder…closer…faster. It was running after me now.
Time was running out. If I was going to make it out of there alive I had to find the opening! I followed the walls hoping they would lead me to the door, but it did me no good. I kept falling over rocks, and scraping my knees. So I began to crawl. I saw with my hands. I felt around; yet I found nothing.
I thought my search was hopeless until I found it. I had found the door; I tried to squeeze my way through. As I was standing in the doorway I turned my head to listen. I heard nothing. The footsteps had ceased. How could they just stop all of a sudden? What was going on? I laughed at myself…could I really have been making that up in my head? Was it all just a dream? How could I be so foolish! I got myself all worked up over nothing. I turned to walk out of the cave…when I felt something grab my arm. It had gotten a hold of me.

I wrote this short story as an assignment for my English Class. When I read it to my mother she was almost in tears. (She is a high school English teacher) She told me to post it on this site. (: