Ghostly Games | Teen Ink

Ghostly Games

October 16, 2008
By Anonymous

"One point if they know that you're there. Two points if they scream. Three points if they run away. Four points if they start to cry. Five points if they do all four."

"Only five points for getting them to do all four?" she asked. "It's hard enough getting them to cry. To get them to do all four requires a lot of skill."

"Well you're not going to be able to do it anyway so I figured I'd set the points low so you'd have a chance to catch up."

"Okey dokey," the little girl said. She ignored her brother's teasing. "Let's start the game!"

The twins ran down the hallway after the family. They followed the family into their old living room.

"This place looked so much better when mom and dad lived here," the little boy remembered. "Anyway, you can go first. You'll need all the points you can get."

"Okey dokey," the girl said.

"Start with something small," the brother suggested.

"I know!" she said. "It's not like this is the first time I've done this!"

"Sorry. I was just trying to help."

The little girl circled the family, wondering what she should do first. She walked over to the desk chair and moved it.

The teenage girl gasped and ran over to her mom.

"Does that count as running away?" the little girl asked her brother.

"No it only counts if they run out of the room," the brother clarified his rules.

"Mom, that chair just moved!" the teenage girl said.

"It's just your imagination Jessica."

“Oh poo,” the little girl said. She would just have to try harder to scare the family. She picked up a rock and threw it as hard as she could across the room.

Jessica screamed. “Let’s go to another room ok?”

“Scardey cat,” her older sister said.

“Shut up Nicole.”

“Both of you stop fighting,” the father said. “We’ll go to another room.”

The twins followed the family into the hall and up the stairs into their parent’s old bedroom.

“My turn,” the little boy said. He went up to the mom and gave her a hug. She screamed and ran out of the room. The rest of the family ran out after her.

“The score is 17 to 2.”

The little girl shot her brother a dirty look.

“Something touched me!” they heard the mom yelling in the hall.

“Are you sure?” the dad asked.

“Yes!”

“Do you think you can go back in there?”

“I’ll try.”

The family walked back into the room. The mom stayed as close as she could to the dad.

“My turn,” the little girl said. She walked over to the teenage boy and whispered in his ear.

“What did you say Jess?” he asked his sister.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“Who just talked to me then?”

“You’re just imagining things Mike,” Nicole said.

The little girl could see that trying to scare Mike was hopeless. She took a deep breath and screamed. The whole family screamed and ran out of the room.

“The score is 17 to 27,” the little brother told her brother smugly.

“IT won’t be for long,” the brother said.

They followed the family into their old bedroom.

“My turn,” the little boy said. He summoned up all the strength he had and appeared in front of the family.

The family screamed.

“Ghost!” the dad yelled as they ran out of the house. As soon as they were out, Nicole and Jessica burst into tears.

“I’m never going back there again!” Nicole insisted.

The twins looked out their old bedroom window.

“The final score is 46 to 26.”

“You win, just like you always do,” the little girl sighed.

“Cool! I broke my own record. Who knew being dead could be so much fun?”

The author's comments:
this piece was inspired my all the shows that were on tv around halloween