Auntie May | Teen Ink

Auntie May

By Shadowlight PLATINUM, Chatsworth, Georgia
Shadowlight PLATINUM, Chatsworth, Georgia

Just like every other year on the 22nd of November, the Carter family sat down to eat their Thanskgiving dinner together. All the usual foods were there. Baked ham, green beans, macaroni and cheese, dressing, hot rolls, etc. And of course, the most important part of the feast, the turkey.

They all pigged out as usual. Their bellies full and bulging outwards by the end. Afterwords, the biggest compliment was given to the turkey. With many of the family members calling it exquisite and better than all the other years. They especially liked how it was already cut into little pieces for them. The person who cooked it this year was Auntie May. That's what all the kids called her anyway. She was one of the more older members of the family, and very well respected.

At first, everyone was hesitant when she offered to make it. She had never really cooked for the family before, but they let her do it nonetheless. And after tasting it, they were so glad to have trusted their dear old Auntie. By the time everyone was getting ready to go home, they were still complimenting her exceptional cooking.

A few members of the family brought up the idea to let her have dinner responsibilities every Thanksgiving. Maybe even Christmas as well. When others heard this, they agreed. Aunty May gave off a big smile, and said she would be more than happy to cook from now on.

After a few more conversations, most of the family said their goodbyes and left. But one couple and their child stayed behind. Not just to talk about the turkey, but about Auntie May's yard. They kept saying how much better it was than all the other places they had been for dinners. Praising how it wasn't so closed in and cramped.

"I think I can speak for the entire family when I say that this is the kids' new favorite place for Thanksgiving." said the mother holding her little boy Tommy's hand.

"Well thank you, I always wanted a nice, open place that kids could play in." said Auntie May with a cheerful voice.

"And again, we can't thank you enough for that amazing turkey." said the father who ate a rather large portion of it.

"Yeah, thank you Auntie May!" said little Tommy.

Auntie May nodded and said " Your very welcome Tommy. Really, it's all in the preparation."

"Um, Before we go, your neighbor kept asking me if you've seen her daughter? I think her name's Sarah?" asked the mother

"I can't say that I have." said Auntie May

"Oh, okay. Well, we need to get going. Tommy here really wants to get home and play some games. Just keep an eye out for her." said the mother.

"Will do." said Auntie May.

The father opened the door, and walked out with Tommy. The mother lagged behind a little, having to grab her purse and a few others things. She walked to the door and turned to Auntie May one last time.

"I can't wait until Christmas!" she said waving goodbye. Then the door was closed.

"Me either." said Auntie May waving back. She then walked into the kitchen, looked down at the empty tray which held the turkey, and said

"Looks like you tasted pretty good Sarah. I bet your brother will make for an exceptional Christmas feast."

This is a flash fiction I wrote after going to my family's Thanksgiving Dinner.