Last Wishes | Teen Ink

Last Wishes

By Bryn BRONZE, Oviedo, Florida
Bryn BRONZE, Oviedo, Florida

"Nevertheless she persisted."

“One Month,” the doctor says. There is a sudden silence that falls throughout the room, even though it was silent to begin with.

“One Month,” My father repeats in a weak voice.

“Yes,” Dr. James replies before exiting the hospital room. My family and I sit in silence, not really a comfortable silence, just silence that is silent enough for us to digest the recent information given to us. One month; that was an expiration date. Only one month to live your life, one month to follow your dreams, to fall in love, to change the world, one month to live.

“I’m going to die in one month,” I choke out finally.

“Lily, it’s only a projected time. You could live longer or…” my dad’s voice fades away realizing what he was going to say.

“Or I could die sooner,” I finish speaking the words he was going to say. “What am I going to tell Maggie?” I add. It’s true six months ago when I was diagnosed with Leukemia I didn’t tell my best friend, Maggie. I was too afraid when she moved that she would ditch me for someone cooler that lived closer to her, telling her would just give her one more reason to ditch me.

“Well you have to tell her. Maggie would never keep something from you,” my aunt says having only met Maggie once.

“Maggie wouldn’t have something like this Aunt Susan!” I exclaim to her.

“How do you know?” she questions me.

“Because only stupid people like me get diseases,” I say.

“Now, Lily don’t you ever say you are stupid again. You are one of the smartest people I know and we will get through this,” my other aunt, Aunt Morgan, says in her famous southern accent.

“Lily, I’m tired can we leave?” my sister, Jessie, asks from beside me. She is only six, ever since my mother left us she had looked to me as her mother. I look at my Dad with pleading eyes; I wanted to do nothing more than to get out of this stuffy hospital room. I mean they had only called me in here to deliver the news.

“I suppose so, but please be home in time for dinner,” my father agrees.

“Thank you, Dad.” I say before turning to Jessie. “Want to go to the park?” I ask.

“Yes,” she shouts in reply jumping off the bed and running out of the room. My father lets out a chuckle and I race after her. We run to our Victorian Style house and I run up the carpet stairwell and into my room. I grab my worn out pair of Pointe Shoes and Jessie’s coloring book along with some dolls she left in my room last time she was in here.

“Come on Jessie!” I shout just about to walk out the front door. She appears next to me with a cookie in her mouth and another couple in her hands. I roll my eyes at her child like instincts and then I walk out the door. “Lily?” Jessie says in a questioning tone.

“Hm,” I reply walking into the park which is really just a field with some trees and a pathway.

“What were the doctors talking about early?” she asks looking at me.

I grow silent. “It was nothing Jessie,” I quickly cover up.

“Okay!” she says skipping off to join some of her friends that were playing at the park too.

I laugh at her before sitting down on the nearby bench beginning to put on my Pointe shoes. I watch Jessie’s blonde curls as she plays with her friends, Abby and Isabelle. Their childish laughs float over to where I stand.
I pull the toe pad over my foot making sure it is on straight. I have only ever done one year in an actual studio, but when I was in the hospital I always watched videos online and learned all that there is to know about dance. My Grandma in Florida used to dance so she was the one that gave me permission to actually go on Pointe.
I use my Mom’s old Pointe shoes to dance in. I begin to tie the ribbons in a knot after I wrap them around my ankle, the soft silkiness of the ribbon lying gently above my ankle bone. You see many people think that you wrap the ribbons all the way up your legs, but in reality you only wrap them around your ankles. I stand up on flat feet and walk behind the bench so I can use it as a Dance Barr. I roll up onto full Pointe feeling the usual rush of exhilaration. Dance has this funny way of making me feel good no matter how broken I may truly be.

“Hey, Doodle!” someone shouts from behind me. I stop dancing. Doodle, that nickname had so much meaning.

“Ty!” I shout turning around and launching myself at him. Ty went to dance with me. He was nicest one there. He was my partner whenever we did dances. When I had to quit dance classes he and I stayed close friends. I haven’t seen him in a week, not since the doctors told me they would like to speak with me.

“Doodle,” he whispers into my hair since my arms are flung around him. I release him taking a step back. “What did the doctors say? Did they find a cure?” he asks me.

“Can we not talk about this now?” I ask him pleadingly.

“Okay, but I expect you to tell me,” he says not pressuring me like everyone else would.

“Dance with me?” I ask my eyes pleading. He notices the pain in my eyes so he agrees walking me over to a blank spot in the park with beautiful green grass. He holds my hand at arm’s length and we begin dancing. Ty is the best partner there is, he supports me in every move I make giving me a warm sense of reassurance. I face him and we continue dancing.

“Lily, what really happened today?” he asks me staring deep into my brown eyes.

“They told me the amount of time I have left,” I say trying not to give away any details.

“And?” he asks urging me to continue.

“One month,” I whisper. He grows silent.

“Lily?” he finally asks his voice wavering.

“Yeah,” I ask looking up at him.

“What’s going to happen to Jessie when you, well you know?” he continues.

“When I die?” I ask him taking a step back. He gives me a nod. “I don’t know.”

“Lily, do you remember the first day we met?” he asks walking with me over to the bench.

“How could I forget?” I reply. We sit in silence staring at the children playing in front of us. I don’t know about him, but I was remembering the day we first met.

It was a cold day in Winter I had been outside playing in the snow when my dad had come out. He turned to me and told me to get in the car. I obeyed and we drove to the local Dance Store. I was very excited because I remembered watching my Grandmother dance when I was younger. We walked inside and bought a pair of ballet shoes, leotard, dance bag, and tights. When we left we didn’t go home. Instead we went to the dance studio. I remember walking inside for the first time, I was nervous. I walked inside my dad trailing behind me. I met the dance teacher, Ms. Morgan and all the students. When my dad left I never felt more alone, the students were working on a recital piece and it was too close to the Winter Recital to teach it to me so I sat at the front of the class and watched. Half way through the class I had gotten bored of watching the same thing over and over again so I took out the sketch pad my dad had apparently slipped into my bag without me noticing. I drew pictures of dance shoes and dancers, I drew so much that I didn’t even notice a guy coming into the classroom. “Ty! You are too late to make up this class go sit at the mirror with Lily,” Ms. Morgan had shouted. He smiled weakly at me and came over to sit by me.
“I’m Ty.” He introduced himself.
“Lily.” I responded. He looked over at what I was drawing then back up at me.
“You’re drawing. I’m going to call you Doodle,” he had concluded. I nodded. Ever since that day we were inseparable. I’ll never forget that day.
“Lily!” Ty shouts breaking me out of my thoughts.
“What?” I ask.
“I asked you a question.”
“Well what was it?” I ask.
“Are you scared?” he asks looking at me.
“I don’t know. I mean I have one month to live my life that usually takes at least 30 years and I don’t have that time, I have one month,” I say looking into the distance.
“Lily?” he asks.
“Yes?” I respond.
“Why does life have to be so cruel?” he asks.
“I’ve been wondering that since the day I was diagnosed.
“Lily!” Jessie says bouncing over to us.
“Yes, Jessie?” I ask looking down at her.
“Can we go home?” she asks.
“Sure,” I reply.
“Lily, make a list. A list of everything you want to do before times up. I’ll make sure we do it,” Ty says as we begin to walk away.
“Okay, I will,” I say walking off. The short walk home Jessie is silent so that leaves me and my thoughts to think. What would my dying wish be? What does dying feel like? When we’re younger so naïve and innocent, we joke around saying that our dying words would be something like the million dollars is in the… but when you think about when you actually are dying wouldn’t you rather say you love someone or thank you. I’m sure I would.
I brush my brown hair out of my eyes. I refused to undergo any sort of treatment when I was diagnosed, not because I wanted to die, but because they wouldn’t help. When they found the cancer it was too late leukemia had terminal illness meaning there is no cure. Before I was diagnosed I wanted to help people. I shaved my head for cancer, 4 months later I was diagnosed. My brown hair now lays dead right below my ears.
Before I know it I am standing in front of the porch steps to my brown, dull looking house. I sigh before heading inside. I walk up the carpeted stairs that sit in the kitchen. Walking past the washer and dryer, through my sister’s room, and through the guest room, and throw the bathroom, I finally arrive in my room. The old floor boards creak beneath my feet. We were supposed to redo it this summer, but that’s not happening now. I throw my Pointe shoes on the flowery bed. Don’t get me wrong, I love my room. It’s old and Victorian, but at the same time pretty and elegant. It’s just that I’ve lived in this room my whole life and I kind of want a change now leave the boring stuff behind.
Make the list, Lily. My brain tells me. Sighing I pick up a piece of paper and a pencil. Part of me doesn’t want to make this list because making this list just confirms the fact that I am indeed dying, but the other part, the bigger part, wants to make this list to ensure that I live my life to the fullest, but no matter what my mind thinks I still manage to raise my pencil above the paper and begin to write. I write a list of 5 things I want done in my life before “time’s up.” I don’t know how Ty will get some of these things accomplished, but he promised he would and I believe him. I take a picture of the list leaving of the last wish; Ty doesn’t need to know that one, before sending the picture to Ty.
“Lily, its dinner time!” my Aunt’s country voice floats up the stairs.
“Coming!” I shout back in response. I wonder what my Mom’s doing at this exact moment, I wonder if she’s thinking about me. My mom left my family as soon as Jessie was born. I don’t really remember much about her besides for the fact that she was extremely sweet and no one in my family could really think of why she would leave us. I’ve written her many letters, most of which were just sent back using the return address, but there were a few that didn’t get sent back, like the one where I told her I had Leukemia or the one where I told her I was going on Pointe. Though she never responded I know she received them and I know that she read them, I just know it.
“Ah, can you get drinks on the table?” one of my Aunts asks me as I walk into the kitchen.
“Sure,” I say. I fill up the glasses with the proper drink that everyone wants. I peek over my Aunt’s shoulder to see what we are having for dinner, Pork Roast, knowing my Aunt it will be overdone. This is one of my least favorite meals. Ugh, I mean come on people I’m going to die in a month then you can have all the disgusting meals you want. Okay, I shouldn’t joke about that. Just then there is a ring of the doorbell. I quickly set the last glass on the table before going to open the door, but I see my father has beaten me to it.
“Ty what brings you here?” my father asks. My ears immediately perk up. Ty whispers something to my Dad before my Dad opens the door wider so I can see Ty.
“Lily, you and I are going somewhere go get ready,” Ty commands. I look down at my sweat pants and random t-shirt I had thrown on this morning before nodding and rushing upstairs to go get changed. I run into my room to see one of my Aunt’s had laid out clothes for me. I don’t give them a second glance before hopping in the shower. Washing away all the hospital sadness from my body, I turn off the water and get changed into the clothes my Aunt had set out. I tie my hair up in a ponytail and put on my usual jewelry, the bracelet with my name on it, my Buddha bracelet from Maggie, the ring I got at the movies, and the heart shaped necklace my Mother, it has my birth stone in it. I received the necklace with the note she left for me, I never take it off now besides for times I need to. I turn towards my closed door that has a full length mirror on it taking in my appearance. I am wearing a pair of ripped jeans, my white converse, and my red Inspi (red) shirt. I grab my purple jacket that I wear all the time before rushing down stairs. I grab my phone from the counter and shove it in my pocket before casually walking into the kitchen.
“You ready?” Ty asks me.
“Yeah,” I say nodding. I glance at my family that is just sitting down to eat. “I’ll see you soon,” I wave to them before walking out of the house with Ty trailing behind me. “Where to?” I ask him. He picks up a picnic basket from the table and begins to walk in the direction of the park. I quickly catch up to him. We walk in a comfortable silence until we arrive at the park.
“Number 1,” he says aloud sitting in a nice grassy spot.
“Picnic under the stars,” I say finishing his statement.

“I got your list, and we’ll do all those things, all four,” he says.

“There are five,” I say. He looks at me.

“On the list there were only four,” he says confused.

“I didn’t send you the last one, but in time you will find out, Young Grasshopper,” I say in a weird voice.

“Just eat,” he says chuckling. I look down at the picnic blanket see a plate set out with my favorite foods, Macaroni and Cheese. The smell of cheese catches my nose making my mouth water. I know I’m weird, but I am so glad Ty saved me from overdone Pork Roast. I eat the food as if I will never eat again, the soft noodles dancing on my tongue. The macaroni is not too watery not too dry. It is perfect. I’m not one of those girls that care about their weight, especially now, if anything I need to eat more in order to stay as healthy as I am at the moment. Ty and I sit in silence staring at the stars. Ty rolls over to face me.
“Why didn’t you tell Maggie?” he asks.
“I didn’t want her to leave me,” I say my voice below a whisper.
“Lily, Maggie would never leave you,” he bargains with me.
“I’ll call her tonight,” I say looking back up at the sky. I love the night time sky in New Jersey. It looks like a piece of black velvet that someone had taken a bunch of diamonds and threw them across it. It truly is beautiful. We sit in silence for another little while before Ty receives a call.
“It was your dad, ‘he says it’s time for you to come home,” Ty says after hanging up.
“Okay,” I say standing up. I help pick up the picnic materials. “I enjoyed tonight,” I whisper to him when we arrive home.
“Me too,” he replies. “Be ready at 11:00 tomorrow, wear something comfy,” he adds before disappearing into the night leaving me alone on the porch steps of my home. I soon find myself inside and in the kitchen being questioned by my two aunts.
“So how was it?” Aunt Susan asks.
“It was…” I pause trying to find the right word to describe tonight. “Perfect.”
“Awe. Little Lily’s in love,” my sister, Jessie says in a sing-song voice entering the kitchen.
I gasp a throw a hand over my heart faking being upset. “I am not.”
“Yeah, yeah, go get ready for bed you two,” Aunt Margret says rolling her eyes at our silliness. I race after Jessie who has already disappeared up the stairs. I arrive in my bedroom changing into a pair of sweatpants and a random shirt I found, throwing on my signature purple jacket. I remember what I said to Ty earlier, that I would call Maggie. I sigh knowing what had to be done.
I pick up my phone dialing the number I had memorized by heart. She picks up on the second ring. “Lily, where have you been?” Maggie shouts into the phone.
“New Jersey,” I say laughing. I forgot how much I loved my best friend.
“Oh right. Well its midnight so you better have something good to tell me,” she says. Wow, its midnight already. Good thing it’s Saturday meaning no camp tomorrow for her.
“Um,” I stall. “I have Leukemia and I’m going to die in about a month,” I say really fast hoping she didn’t understand.
“Lily, why didn’t you tell me?” she gasps.
“I’m sorry,” I say realizing how stupid I was.
“Usually I would be mad, but I can’t be mad at you, especially not now,” she says letting out a sigh of exasperation. “I’m going to go get on a plane to New Jersey now, see you in the morning,” she adds before hanging up. I chuckle at her, before turning to look at myself in the mirror. My shiny brown eyes seem dull and boring now, and my hair just looks limp and ugly. I’m fifteen I have my whole life ahead of me, how could this happen. I send a quick text to my dad telling him what Maggie said too lazy to go downstairs before drifting into unconsciousness.
I am awoken by someone jumping on my bed. Maggie, I quickly decide before opening my eyes slightly. “Lily get up for Pete’s sake will ya,” she says.
“Maggie, shush,” I say.
“No, now get ready Ty will be here soon,” she says before leaving. I sigh remembering Ty’s command last night. It’s not that I didn’t want to go it’s just I didn’t want to lose the warmth of my bed. I get up anyways and hop in the shower. I change into a pair of jeans and a shirt that I got from Brooklyn. It’s gray and had the number 22 on the front; on the back it says Brooklyn. I grab my phone before descending down the stairs. I spot Ty and Maggie having a conversation in the kitchen. I grab a granola bar and eat it. I wash it down with a glass of milk. Finally, Ty spots me.
“Number two,” he begins. “See Maggie,” he finishes his statement.
Maggie looks confused so I quickly fill her in, “I wrote five things I want to do before I leave, and Ty is making them come true. Number One was a picnic under the stars. Number two was to see you.”
“Oh, that’s so sweet,” Maggie responds grabbing her jacket from the counter.
“I have something planned for you,” Ty says sensing the confusion etched into my face.
“Okay,” I say. I grab my jacket off the counter. Maggie and TY walk out of the house and I follow them taking a deep breath and locking the door behind me. We walk with very little talking to Ty’s Volvo.
Maggie stifles a laugh at his choice of cars. “It was the only one I could afford,” he says. Ty’s parent’s died when he was very little. They were both Lawyers so he inherited a lot of money, but he refuses to spend it until college so he works two jobs along with high school and dance.
“But really, a Volvo,” I add joking around with him. He got this car two days ago that’s why he couldn’t come to the hospital with me. We both thought it was something good not something like what it was.
“I wouldn’t be talking Li’ you spent all your life’s savings on a Barbie house,” Maggie says laughing.
“I was five, and it was twenty dollars!” I say defending myself.
“Still I would’ve spent twenty dollars on Littlest Pet Shop not some Barbie doll house,” Maggie smirks.
“Guys, hate to burst your bubble, but we need to get going if you want to make it in time,” Ty says from the front seat.
“Shot Gun!” Maggie yells jumping in the passenger side of the car.
“Sure leave the dying girl to sit in the back,” I say climbing in the back.
“Shut up Lily,” Ty says from the front joking around.
“I could die you know,” I say.
“Really, you’re going to die from sitting in the back seat,” Maggie laughs.
“It could happen,” I reply.
“Honey, that kind of stuff only happens in the movies, but if it will make you feel better I’ll sit in the back on the way back and you can drive,” Ty says.
“I won’t,” Maggie scoffs.
“Thanks Ty, but that won’t be necessary,” I say smiling evilly at him.
“Okay, we are driving now,” Ty says pulling out the driveway. “Lily put on that blindfold,” he instructs.
“That’s creepy, but okay,” I say tying the blindfold on. We sit in the car and I completely lose track of where we are.
“Okay we are here,” Ty says breaking the awkward silence between us. I causally get out of the car and stand by the car awkwardly. After a while I don’t hear anyone.
“He left me,” I decide going to take off my blindfold.
“Wait! We are here we had to go do something,” Ty shouts from a little bit away. Eventually, I feel his hand on my back guiding me to our mystery destination.
“If you make me run into something I will rip off your head,” I threaten him.
“Jeez have a little faith in me will you?” he laughs. He continues guiding me into an elevator. He presses a button and we go up.
“Can I take off my blindfold now?” I complain tired of the black cloth around my eyes.
“Yes,” he agrees. I pull off the blindfold to reveal the inside of an elevator, Ty and Maggie. I pull a weird face at them handing my blindfold to Ty. They both laugh. Finally after what seems like hours the elevator stops and the doors open to show that we are up very high. Two men walk over and strap us into harnesses. We are on the George Washington Bridge staring out at the ocean. We walk to the highest point and hold hands, Ty, Maggie, and I. One of the guys goes over instructions then takes a step back.
“Number 3,” I begin for Ty.
“Surprise Me,” he finishes. We all take a deep breath before launching ourselves of the bridge only being supported by a couple cords. This was amazing, it was perfect.
“Best surprise ever!” I shout as I fall closer and close to the ocean. Just as I am about to plunge into the water I am launched back up. I hold my hands out next to me like I am a bird. We jump off the bridge a few more times, but nothing can compare to the first time. “Thank you Ty, thank you,” I say after we are back in the elevator.
“Lily there’s no need to thank me, I promised I would let you live your life to the greatest and I plan on doing that,” he states. Maggie silently watches us from the corner. We step out of the elevator all at once. I spot something I like.
“Lily,” Maggie shouts after me, but I am already sprinting. I stop in front of the photo booth and gaze up dreamily at it.
“I want something to remember this day,” I explain. “Please,” I ask. Ty and Maggie walk over to me.
“Yes, Lily,” Ty says stepping inside along with Maggie. Ty reaches his hand out to put money in the machine, but I stop him.
“You gave me this amazing day. I can spend four dollars on pictures that you will cherish forever,” I say to him putting four dollars in the machine. We take the strips of pictures. The first one we smile, the second we make a funny face, the third we are making duck faces, and the last one the one they will cherish forever we are laughing. After that we leave and Ty takes me back home. Maggie is staying here until I leave. Ty drops us off and speeds away. Maggie and I head inside. I decide one thing that I need to do. Write a Will. I head up to my room and grab a sheet of paper. Lily Gray Carter’s Will; I put at the top. I begin to write the things I own and where they go to. I don’t own much, but to hit the basics my dolls to Jessie, my dance things to Ty, my books and other things to Maggie, and my personal things to my family. Maggie sits quietly on my bed and reads a book. I set that paper aside. I jump on my bed and land next to Maggie. She looks down at me sadness in her eyes.
“What’s wrong?” I ask her.
“My Best Friend is going to die,” she says a few tears slipping out of her eyes.
“Maggie, I’ll never leave you,” I say.
“But Lily…” she starts.
“Enough, now I’m going to bed so go to the guest room,” I say. She nods closing the door on her way out. I pick up the photo strip from today and stick it to the wall where I have a bunch of photos. I take a minute to look at each photo. I stare at the last photo, that photo that photo is the best. I then lay down on my bed and fall asleep. I am woken up after what seems like five minutes by a jolt.
I hadn’t slept well not well at all. Today was it, I told myself. I could feel it. Maggie appears at my front door. “This is it,” she says to me. So she felt it too.
I climb out of bed and look up at her. “Call Ty,” I instruct.
“He’s already downstairs waiting,” she responds. “Get ready,” she adds leaving me alone. I hurry up and get changed leaving my dirty clothes in a pile on the floor. I change in a pair of shorts and a tank- top. I tie my limp hair back in a pony tail. I take one look at myself in the mirror before grabbing my phone then dropping it back on the bed. I want to remember today not have my phone. I rush downstairs.
“Maggie called me and told me to come over, what’s wrong?” Ty asks me worriedly. I look up at him so he doesn’t know. No need to worry him.
“Number four,” I say to him. He smiles at me. Maggie and I leave my parents a short note. Then we all head out to the park in Ty’s Volvo.
“Number four, water gun fight!” Ty shouts as soon as we are out of the car. He sprays me with water before running behind a tree.
I jump up from the icy cold water hitting me and shoot Maggie. Eventually, we are all soaked. There are children running around us with their own water guns and parents watching. Ty looks and me before we both turn to Maggie and shoot her. Maggie screams and shoots some random kid. I forget completely about this morning’s panic attack. I turn towards Ty and shoot him. Kids all around me are shooting me with the icy cold water that Ty filled a ton of water guns with. I roll on the floor and shoot some kids that live in the neighborhood. I forget about everything and just focus on having fun. I don’t realize that something is terribly wrong until I am sitting on the bench with my head in my hands. The children continue playing, but Ty walks over to me. We have been here for hours. “What’s wrong, Lily?” he asks concerned.
“Nothing, it will pass,” I lie.
He takes a seat next to me. “What was your last wish, Lily?” he asks not looking me in the eyes.
“To dance with you one more time,” I say looking at the children in a water gun fight.
“Then let’s do it,” he says grabbing my hand.
“Ty,” I say, but he cuts me off.
“I knew this morning when I woke up, I came over and Maggie was freaking out,” he explains walking me to the center of the park. The parents of the children take one look at us and pull their children away knowing what was going on. Maggie starts a song, Tears of an Angel.
Ty grabs my waist and we begin dancing, not something classical, but something more lyrical more emotional. I jump into Ty’s arms and he spins me around. I break away from him and spin in the opposite direction. He walks over to me and we dance together, with more passion than ever before. I lift my leg into arabesque and Ty grabs my leg and waist lifting me up high. He spins me around before setting me down. We continue dancing the rest of the song at the last moment I jump into Ty’s arms and close my eyes slowly slipping into unconsciousness the kind you don’t wake up from.

Epilogue 7 Months Later

Ty leans over the dusty grave. “Hey Lily,” he says kneeling down beside it. He leans a hand against the cold stone and sighs a heavy sigh. “I guess I’ll start off by saying I miss you. You had this certain spark, this certain thing that no one could be sad around you. Maggie convinced her family to let her move in with your family and become homeschooled so she wouldn’t ever leave you. It took Jessie and everyone a while to get over you, but Jessie’s moved on now, but she doesn’t forget you. No one does. Your mom wrote you a letter 3 weeks after you died. I’ll read it to you,” he sighs taking out a folded piece of paper. “Hey Lily, it’s your mom. You know the one that left you. I’m sorry. I love you, I know your gone and you’ll never hear this, but I want you to know that I love you and that I’ll join you up in Heaven real soon because the thing I never told you is that I have cancer too and just like you it can’t be cured. I love you forever and always and I’ll see you real soon,” Ty reads aloud. “I don’t understand how the hospital thought one month when in reality it was only four days. I wish I could’ve planned my time better spent it better with you, but the thing that gets me is that no one could have seen this coming besides well that morning that we all knew it was ending,” he pauses taking a deep breath before continuing. “There’s a spot in the park. The exact spot you died in my arms that there’s a brick with your name engraved on it. No one not even little kids ever stand on that brick,” he adds dusting off the dust collected on the grave. “Lily, people said that the last time we danced we’ve never shown more passion. I wish you could have seen it, we were in the newspaper,” he adds looking in the distance. “You left a mark on the world, Lily Gray. You taught me never take anything for granted and for that I am grateful. I am proud of the time I got to spend with you though I wish we had longer. I guess in the end I’m mad at myself because I never told you how I felt,” he pauses. Taking a look at the words engraved on the cold headstone.
R.I.P Lily Gray Carter, January 17th 1998- June 8th 2013. Died in Ty’s Arms after living all her dreams. You’ll never leave us.
Ty and Maggie had forced them to put the last part on the stone. Maggie had told Ty about what Lily said the night before she died about how she would never leave her and she was right Lily never did leave them.
“I like you, more than a friend. No I don’t like you,” he decides what to say. “I love you, Lily Gray Carter. I really do,” he says looking at the spot where her head would be, but he knows she isn’t there she’s up in Heaven looking down on him knowing what he’s saying. “Do you remember when I showed you pictures of the Vietnam Memorial and how their loved ones would leave things for them, important things. I want to do that for you even though you didn’t fight in a war for our country. You fought your own war and for that you need to be recognized,” he says taking the things he brought for her out of the bag he had set down on the grass next to her stone. He takes a look at all the things before beginning to explain them to her. “I got you a sketchbook and some pens so you can doodle up in Heaven.” He sets the sketchbook and pen down on grass in front of the headstone. “Here’s some Macaroni and Cheese for if you get hungry up there,” he says setting down a little thing on Macaroni and Cheese that he had cooked early this morning. “These are pictures that someone took when we jumped off that bridge, and these are some of the photos Maggie had of you two. These are pictures that people took during the water war in the park,” he says setting down those pictures. He pauses looking down at the photos in his hands. “These are pictures of us dancing for the last time,” he says setting down some photos where Lily is dancing gracefully in his strong arms with Ty supporting her every move. “This one is a picture someone took where you died in my arms,” he says letting out a strangled sob as he chokes out the last words. The picture is of him catching Lily bridal style while her eyes are fluttering closed never to open again. Ty begins to speak again tears rushing down his face. “This one,” he stops talking looking down at the last picture that lies in his hand. A single tear falls off his face and onto the picture. “Do it for Lily,” he mutters to himself.
“This one is the photo strip we took that day the day we jumped off the bridge,” he says. “I like the last one the best,” he adds setting it down. “I love you Doodle, never forget that,” he finishes standing up and walking out of the graveyard saying goodbye to Lily and never looking back.