Swift Relief | Teen Ink

Swift Relief

It was the year 1640. Witches and sorcerers had taken the place of large game as the prize of the hunt. If you were to look over the Cray Valley from the highest peak on any given day, you could see a plume of raven-black smoke rising from one of the many villages. That smoke was the burning of an innocent; a man, woman or small child accused of being a witch or sorcerer. THAT was the truth behind these brutal murders. There were no witches, no sorcerers, just those few gifted in the art of science and illusion...

Laura raced through the woods in horror. The Hunters had accused her of being a witch and now they were out for her blood. The moonlight shining through the canopy cast eerie shadows across the ground that reminded Laura of the Hunters all too vividly.
She knew they were close. If you could hear them, they were dangerously close. And she heard them. What had she done to deserve this? She couldn’t think of anything… had the Hunters just gotten bored? That HAD to be it! Or did she truly do something to be accused of this?

Laura had to think of an escape; A way to dig herself out of this situation. She thought back on the whole of her conscious memory for a sanctuary; somewhere she could hide for a day... or a lifetime. Then, it came to her. She recalled a summer day ruined by the disappearance of her best friend. She remembered a large hole at the top of a grassy knoll…

In the middle of this thought, a sharp rock caught the hem of her crimson dress. Laura fell and hit the ground hard. Dazed and light-headed, she looked behind her. The Hunters were in view. They were running towards her viciously. Instantly, she was hit by a sudden rush of energy. She ripped the stuck part of the hem off her dress, clambered up, and sprinted away.

Laura came into the clearing she had been so desperately running towards. She saw the grassy knoll. She sprinted to the top and discovered in horror that the hole had been boarded up. Laura was so close now, she couldn’t give up now. She searched the area quickly. She ran to the bottom of the hill and picked up a rock. She ran back to the top and lifted the rock high. She thrust it down and broke the boards into pieces, revealing the infinite blackness below; The infinate blackness that would provide her the swift relief she was so desperately seeking...

Laura looked back and saw that the Hunters were right at the bottom of the hill. She turned to the hole and said five words: “God, please spare my family.” Then she jumped into the infinity of the unknown.

In a flash of the brightest light, she vanished, never to be seen again…

It is January 5, 2540. On this day, at exactly 5:45 PM, a wormhole was discovered at that very spot…

I'd like to dedicate this piece to M. Night Shyamalan, who inspired it with his genuine art of unpredictability.