Wild Youth | Teen Ink

Wild Youth

By JenniferAlexis GOLD, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
JenniferAlexis GOLD, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania

We breathe in smoke and exhale lies; we have corrupted lungs, filled with deceit and half truths and things left unsaid, turning acidic and poisonous. I sit in the rain, watching youth corrode- there is nothing wild about this youth, my youth. I am watching it crawl, and over the horizon lies the foreboding future-empty and unknown. This youth, this wild youth, sits alone at a telephone booth with no one to call. She watches bright spirits pass by, rejoicing merrily, and jealousy spikes under the skin, a mix of fire and ice. She shakes her head, full of phantoms and self hatred, and traces patterns over the skin, scars of words and scars from blades. She lies in a field full of daises, wishing mother earth would return her to the ground. There resides the wild youth, hating her body, stuck in the present and terrified of the future. She yearns for beauty and art to flow out through her fingertips, but blood splatters onto the page instead. Wild youth, she is heavy, and she is falling, down into her depression.

Where are the parties, the late nights that she will remember in gaps of euphoria and drunk giddiness? Where are the encircled arms of a lover that surround her gently in the summer rain, which makes a furnace in the winter cold? Wild youth, how you promised so much, and gave nothing in return for the dreams that have faded away, and the goals that remain unreached. Wild youth, I beg of you to let me live another day. There's a storm up ahead on an empty road that creeps in the darkness. Wild youth, you remain unattainable; my arms are outstretched, palms open, catching smoke and vapor. I watch you dance in the field full of flowers and soak in the rain. Your hazy outline intrigues me, I wish to smell your crown of flowers and touch your naked body, designed in day glow paint. I watch you dance, light a cigarette, and the ashes form a circle around you. The embers burn the dry grass, and flames lick your skin. Wild youth, you're singing, madly chanting in a ring of fire. Smoke rings issue through your lips, and I am in love with you, my dear. Untouchable and desirable, you're insane and you're beautiful, my wild youth.