Cassidy | Teen Ink

Cassidy

October 10, 2008
By Anonymous

It was her first day of high school as she walked down the narrow hallway only wishing she knew where to go. Cassidy was in a sad and quiet trance as she ran into everything in her way not caring. Suddenly, she fell to the ground. As she looked up, she contemplated the thought that she might have seen an angel.

His soft brown hair flew over his face as he blew it out of the line of sight radiating from his beautiful brown eyes. As she thought he couldnt look any more enchanting, he smiled, and she was proven wrong.He helped Cassidy up and walked away while she still tried to catch her breath and lower her heartbeat down to a more natural speed.

As soon as she could, she asked her best friend Jojoe what his name was.

"Sam" Jojoe murmered as she looked through her locker for the missing science paper. Whenever Cassidy got home she grabbed the phone and jumped on her bed with delight. She could not hold in the excitment, but that quickly ended when she relized she did not know her beloved Sam's number. Cassidy remembered someone mentioning that Cole was his best friend. She dialed Cole's number hoping he could help her.

"What do you want, Cassidy?" he said after the first ring.

"Hey Cole, do u know Sam's number?"

"Why do you want that?" he questioned.

"I am bored and I want to call random people! What do you think?" she griped.

"Fine Cassidy, I will give it to you if you hug me tomarrow!" Cole laughed in an evil tone.

"Fine Cole! Just give me the number, please!" Cassidy begged.

"Okay, Sam's number is 940-555-1658. Are you happy now?"

"I am very happy! Bye!" she answered quickly, and hung up before he could say anything else.

Cassidy immediately called Sam, but she relized she did not know what to say to him. As she thought carefully what she would say first, she heard a quiet "Hello" come from the phone.

"Hey Sam." she stuttered

"Who is this?" he answered with great alarm.

She was very quiet untill she burst out "Cassidy!" in a loud and embarassing tone.

"Oh really? You are the one I ran into, right? I am sorry about that. I really didnt mean t..."
He was cut off while she said "It was my fault." while still embarassed from earlier.

They told jokes and slowly revealed their own personalities with greaty pride. After about an hour of showing their "crazy side", Sam finally asked, "What would you say if I asked you out?"

She was completely breathless while trying to spit out the word yes. He understood and suddenly said somethign that crushed her heart.

"Cool! I will ask you out if Bridget says no."

Cassidy hund up the second she heard that come from the speaker of the phone. She cried herself to sleep, not answering any of the returning calls from Sam.

When she woke up the next morning, she could still feel the sharp pain in her heart that he had caused. She got to school, and couldnt help but follow Sam every chance she got. Once it was lunch time, Cassidy ran to an empty table and layed her head down as fast as she could hoping no one would see the tears falling down her cheek.

Suddenly, she felt a warm hand touch her shoulder. Cassidy kept her head low, but heard a soothing voice whisper into her ear. "Will you go out with me?"

His warm breath ran across the back of her neck. She quickly shut her eyes as tight as she could. She tried to savor and comprehend what was happening. Sam repeated himself wondering if she did not hear him. She remembered how much pain and suffering he had caused her and she knew she should say no. As she started to spit out her answer, it changed.

"n...yes!" she had accidentely blurted while jumping up to hug him.

Cassidy held his warm body indide the clasp of her hands. Her heart knew what it wanted and moved her hand up to feel his soft hair between the skin of her fingers.

That night, she was so happy and amazed at how that day had turned out, but as she imagined of their future together, she could still feel the shock in her heart from being the second choice to the once she loved.