My Missy | Teen Ink

My Missy

October 5, 2013
By FaeMorgana SILVER, Holland, Michigan
FaeMorgana SILVER, Holland, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tearing into the ground; shoving away fist full after fist full of grainy sand. Laughter echoing in the background, just the neighborhood kids happily playing not realizing a heinous crime took place here not so long ago. I looked back to my work tears streaming down my face, as I remember what happened earlier to my Missy.

Earlier that day:

“Stacy, where are you going?” called Mommy,

“I’m going to play with Missy at the playground, Mommy” I said

Missy was my bestest friend in the whole wide world. I got her last Christmas and I still remember the joy of first laying my eyes on her, she was beautiful with her wavy brown hair, flawlessly white skin, and her soft Grey-blue eyes; she was all I ever wanted.

“Okay sweetie, be back before it gets dark,” Mommy replied,

“Okay Mommy!” I said.

“Weeeeeeeeeee!” I squealed,

Missy and I were flying on the swings; we climbed higher and higher, till we felt butterflies in our tummies, and only stopped once when Missy fell off my lap. Everyone was having a good time, a group of kids were playing freeze tag, two girls were playing chicken on the monkey bars, and the boy from A4 was digging for treasure in the sand pit; when they showed up.

They were the meanest boys in the apartments, always picking on us, and taking our stuff away. I didn’t want them to notice me so I kept swinging, trying not to look at them; I sighed in relief when they stalked towards the boy from A4; they stood over him so I couldn’t see what they were doing, but when A4 boy ran away I knew they had teased him. I tried keeping a good rhythm, swinging not too high and not too low, so I wouldn’t catch their attention; it was going well till Missy fell from my lap again.

“Oh, No!” I gasped,

I hopped off the swings, and kneeled by Missy, making sure she wasn’t hurt.

“You need to be more careful Missy,” I scolded

Unaware of the attention I caused by my outburst, I didn’t notice the older boys heading in my direction; I was too busy dusting Missy off and giving her feel better kisses. It wasn’t till they loomed over me did I know I was in big trouble; I looked up to see four boys leering at me.

“Hey, girlie did your dolly get a boo boo?” one asked,

“N-no, she’s fine,” I stammered,

“I don’t know, looks like she needs to see a doctor,” another put in, “you’re in luck though, José here-“he gestured to José, “He’s a doctor.” He finished.

Before I could react, José snatched Missy out of my arms. I cried out, and tried to get her back but one of the boys pushed me, and I fell. They ran to the sand box, I got up and followed behind, tears streaming don’t my face, by time I got their the boy’s had made a barricade, surrounding José and Missy; so I couldn’t see what was happening.

“Please give Missy back!” I wailed,

“Sorry, Dr. José isn’t don’t operating yet,” one said,

They laughed while I cried, and finally the circle broke, and José walked towards me with his hands clasp behind his back; a solemn expression on his face.

“I’m sorry but- she didn’t make it,” he said,

“Don’t worry though, I already buried her for you,” he said,

He patted my shoulder, then him and the others left, laughing over my misery. I stood there till their laughter faded, then when I was sure they were gone I threw myself onto the ground; and started to tear into the sandy ground for Missy. When I finally found her I shrieked in horror, that horrible boy had ripped her head off, my tears fell fresh as I gathered Missy’s body in my arms; and numbly walked back home.
When I arrived I quickly ran to my room and shut the door behind me, I didn’t want Mommy to see my tears, I wrapped Missy up in my favorite blanket; softly singing her favorite song in between hiccups. When I finally calmed down, I promised Missy they would pay for what they did, Mommy knocked on my door,
“Stacy? You okay sweetie?” Mommy asked,
Clearing my throat, I smiled and answer back,
“Yes Mommy, I’m okay, Missy and I are just fine.”