Who Are We | Teen Ink

Who Are We

By tatianaolivia22 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
tatianaolivia22 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina

How many free throws to win a tight game? It was fourth quarter and the score was 96 to 97 the LA Lakers were down by 1 point losing to the Brooklyn Nets. This Championship was important to LA Lakers and Brooklyn Nets both teams were going their hardest against each other.

Mike D’Antonio the LA Lakers coach called a time out with 3 minutes left with the game Mike talked to his team telling them they were slugging it out with the Brooklyn Nets both teams working their butts off. With 1 minute to go until the end of the game was over both teams got hyped getting their teams to focus. When the referee blows the whistle telling both teams half time was over. The LA Lakers and the Brooklyn Nets shakes hands with grins on their faces saying good luck. On the sideline holding the ball was Pau anxious to get the ball in to his teammates. The Referee blowing his whistle with a smile on his face got the crowd roaring for both teams.

As Pau looks for an open teammate with Andray guarding Kobe, Kobe pushes of Andray and cuts down to get the ball. Pau hurries and gets the ball in without hesitating. Kobe chuckles and brings the ball down the court thinking that they could do this. He passes half court and stops looking at how the court was coordinated. With 36 seconds left Kobe calls the play LA the team gets in position and runs it.

With 6.2 seconds left in the game, and everyone was in their right positions. Kobe looked at all his options and seen that Steve Nash was calling for the ball with his hands out ready to turn and shoot. Kobe throws the ball to Steve; Andray hurries down and tries to steal the ball from Steve. Steve turns and shoots and misses but the referees whistle goes off and a foul was called and the crowd roars with cheers. Steve Goes up to the free throw line and both teams line up in their spots. The Referee tells both teams to rest on the first shot he throws the ball to Steve. Steve focuses and the crowd was dead silent he rolls the ball of his fingers and arches the ball and shoots. “Swish” the balls hits all net and the score was tied 97 to 97. The crowd goes wild and Steve and his team jump for joy. Steve once again receives the ball from the referee and he takes a deep breath and rolls the ball off his fingers and arches it and shoots. The ball hits the rim and the ball rolls out and back in the crowd cheers. The LA Lakers win the Championship. Purple and white streamers come down and cover the whole gym. Everyone runs to Steve and picks him up all happy with smile on their faces.

The final score was 97 to 98 the Brooklyn Nets walks up to LA Lakers and congratulates them. They all shake hands and the announcer presents the trophy to the LA Lakers and they give it to Steve for getting them the winning point. Mike D’Antonio gathers his team and yells “WHO ARE WE LAKERS”.