The Leaf | Teen Ink

The Leaf

By Rachel Wheeler GOLD, Lewisville, Texas
Rachel Wheeler GOLD, Lewisville, Texas

I felt the wind lift me out of the thin air. I could feel it breaking my stem, tearing me from the only thing that I know of home. I could feel every strand being pulled on and tugged on, breaking from me. Pluck! I'm free from the pain.
I am gently falling toward the soft ground when suddenly the same harsh winds that blew me off my tree carry me further and further away. I'm running with the deer and racing the rivers, getting further from my tree. all I can see is the bark that I once called home. All my friends...wondering where I am.
I am in a different universe, floating in the hard to breath air, scared that I will never see my tree again. I close my eyes and drift along the riverside hoping to stop soon. I feel the soft ground and open my eyes. sweet, sweet ground. The first time I get to feel you. The rush of excitement, but now what? What do I do? wow, look at the ants, and the grasshopper.
What? where are you going? Wha-what is this! I'm being lifted into the air, but how? This is impossible. What is this sticky pink stuff on my back? Wait. the ground is getting closer and, no, you're going to break me! I don't thi-. Ow tha-that hurt.

I wrote this short story in my 9th grade English class. it was my first story and my teacher at the time, Anita Robertson, wrote a comment on the back of my paper saying:
"This story calmed me and humored me. I could see the leaf's journey, feel its excitement, and rest in its resolve, PLEASE continue writing all your life. If you can make a leaf rock, you are one bad mama jama."
Her words have inspired me to keep writing. Thank you Mrs. Robertson. :)