Blessing in Disguise | Teen Ink

Blessing in Disguise

By Julianne_H. GOLD, Highland Village, Texas
Julianne_H. GOLD, Highland Village, Texas

“In life, I believe that everything happens for a reason… things fall apart so that better things can fall together.”

In life there are many things that are negative, especially in today’s society with the lines of what is right and wrong. They are unnoticeable on a day-to-day basis. With that being said, it brings me to the point of that people in our life will come into one’s life for a reason whether for, a season, or to stay. I see this all the time in my life where something bad happens and it turns out for the better.

I didn’t think things could get any worse. Kids picked on me everywhere I went. Then to make things worse my brother, Carson, killed himself. His Bipolar condition stalked him almost every waking moment until one day it just became too much for one to handle. Carson’s downs were pure agony for him, but he ended up in a better place. This is a relief for people left behind including me, because we don’t have to worry about the next crisis or battle against Bipolar disorder for him.

Every day was getting harder and harder to think about the good in life, but despite the incredible confusion, the Lord comforted me with a verse that I openly shared with family and friends. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted," (Matthew 5:4). Carson had a saying he lived by: “Not a day promised.” He used to say it all the time and what it meant was that if you have something to say, say it, if something to do, do it, and if something to work towards, work as hard as possible because the opportunity may never be there for you again. I have so many memories with Carson, but the one that stands out to many is his amazing personality. He taught me that we needed to be different because God is. If people call you “weird” God loves that because he loves people who are different. Since he has passed, my family and I have been able to reach millions of people bringing the compelling word of Christ and awareness of the agonizing Bipolar disorder.
For a short while I couldn’t see why this would have happened to me, but I soon realized why. Many people in this world have not met Jesus Christ and are in desperate need of him. Through Carson’s tragic story, brought many people to the Church to learn about and find Jesus. Another way his death helped was that it pushed his family and friends to spread the news of Bipolar disorder, so that people that have a problem will step up if they need help. In this essay it showed how loosing my brother turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

An essay i wrote for a prompt at school.