Bolt's Race | Teen Ink

Bolt's Race

October 2, 2008
By Anonymous

Bolt’s Race

The crowd gasped. The announcer said into the microphone.
“And he’s down; it looks like Bolt has lost his footing on the track. Jockey, Josh Smithers has signaled to the judges to show that he is forfeiting. It looks like Bolt is injured.”
As he was speaking, vets raced onto the track, it couldn’t be good. Bolt was on the ground, trying, unsuccessfully to stand up. His rider, Josh, was trying unsuccessfully as well to stop him from moving. If the injury was bad, it was best if he didn’t move. The vets reached the pair and began questioning Josh.
“How did this happen? What went wrong? Do you think he’s hurt, are you hurt?”
Josh responded sadly, “He stumbled, then his legs went out and we fell. I think he hurt again when that happened. I’m not hurt, just take care of Bolt.”
The vets raced around all day after the race was finished. Slowly the crowd began to drift away. Everyone was curious to see what would happen to the horse. As the day wore on, the atmosphere grew more and more tense. Soon the horse was taken to the vet’s office and out of the track and the surrounding area. Later that afternoon, once they were in a quiet place with Bolt much calmer, they could examine him more thoroughly. They found disturbing news.
The next morning on the news, they gave a recap of the fall. People everywhere were horrified at the reality that the horse was in a frightening situation. The vet that was on the scene, Dr. Johnson, was a young man. Tall, blonde and caring, he had a heart for animals. He was giving everybody and report on what he figured out and what he believed would happen to the horse.
“Bolt,” he began slowly, seemingly troubled by his thoughts, “is a strong horse, there is a good chance that he will pull through. The x-rays showed that he fractured both of his front legs and pulled a tendon in one as well. Most cases with broken legs, we have to euthanize the horse. This is different though, we think that because they are only fractured, he might have a better chance than most cases. He is in a special care facility and so far is doing well.”
“More updates will be available tomorrow.” The announcer said. At the same time, the T.V. in the stables was turned off.
“It’s a good thing you have enough common sense to not get the horse back up. Most people would have helped him get up and tried to keep going. I’m glad that you tried to
keep him down….that made the difference. Thanks.” Caden said.
Josh responded, “I didn’t do anything special, I just didn’t want him to get hurt again.”
“Yes you did, you were mature enough to know what to do, younger jockeys might not. You had common sense and maturity, it made the difference.”
“Your welcome. I’m just glad he’s going to be okay.”
“Me too, Josh.”
The next day they go to see Bolt again. This routine continues until he is recovered enough to move home. Everyone appreciates how much Josh is caring for him, and every day they think how different it would have been if Josh had been different, obsessed with winning the race. What would have happened to Bolt then? We all wonder.