Forever Cold | Teen Ink

Forever Cold

October 5, 2008
By Anonymous

September 14th, 2026

My name is Alex Sullivan. I am writing this because the Cumulus Project is launching tomorrow. As you may or may not know, the Cumulus Project was created in order to combat the unpredictability of weather. By changing the wind currents and ozone level, it’s supposed to, essentially, control the weather. This project, once completed, would revolutionize the field of meteorology. Personally, I think it’s a huge waste of money. I don’t know if it’s my pessimism acting up, but I think this project is a big mistake. Who knows what long-term effects may arise? Whatever happens, I don’t want to be caught off guard. I took the liberty of collecting supplies, just in case.

September 15th, 2026: Day 1 of Cumulus Project

My initial fears are being doubted as a cloudless sky shone over my town of Herb Hills. I’ll admit, it was nice out, but I was expecting something different. I wasn’t expecting 80º weather and a slight breeze; I was expecting something more…more…extreme. Maybe a day of 120º or hurricane-like winds. Call me paranoid, but I’m not doubting either of those.

September 16th, 2026: Day 2 of Cumulus Project

Another “perfect” day, 80º and a slight breeze. Maybe I was wrong to doubt this thing. Maybe this will help millions of people. And, while I’m talking about wild fantasies, maybe I’ll stop being paranoid! No, two “perfect” days do NOT classify a success to me. A month, maybe, but not 2 days.

September 17th, 2026: Day 3 of Cumulus Project

Is it just me, or did it seem colder today? No, it was definitely colder today. When the temperature drops 20º, you tend to notice. People were complaining, A LOT. Oh, whaaa…you don’t get to wear your T-shirt today. Big deal. The government officials say that today was a “technical hiccup” and that “everything will be normal tomorrow.” Needless to say, I’m going to wear a coat.

September 18th, 2026: Day 4 of Cumulus Project

Unsurprisingly, the temperature dropped again. We’re currently experiencing 30º weather. There were more complaints and more excuses. Personally, I don’t care about today’s weather; I’m more concerned about the rest of the week’s. At this rate, it’ll be about 4 º tomorrow and -12º the day after. If something really is wrong, we’ll find out tomorrow.

September 19th, 2026: Day 5 of Cumulus Project

Something's wrong. The temperature dipped to a frosty 1º, yet people are STILL trying to go outside. Idiots. These people don't even know HOW to drive on snow, let alone drive safely on it. And why are they driving? To complain about the poor driving conditions. Idiots.

September 20th, 2026: Day 6 of Cumulus Project

The snow continues to fall, and the temperature continues to drop. The wind is starting to pick up, so it seems a LOT colder than -13º. Unsurprisingly, the neighbors are still complaining. There seems to be fewer complaints, though. Maybe they couldn't drive in the snow yesterday and crashed. There's no way to be sure until this weather stops, IF it ever does.

September 21st, 2026: Day 7 of Cumulus Project

It's practically a blizzard now. You can hardly look out the window, let alone hear anything from outside it. Good. No more annoying complaints. Hopefully, It'll stay like this. Wind is so much nicer than voices. I got a call from the government, saying that this is “only temporary” and a “quick fix.” In all honesty, I don't think they have a clue about what's going on. I'm not expecting any results soon.

September 21st, 2026: Night 7 of Cumulus Project

Power went out, so I have no heat. It's freezing and dark. Three blankets are wrapped around me, and I am still shivering. It's so cold. I need to start a fire.

September 22nd, 2026: Day 8 of Cumulus Project

I don't know how much longer I'll last. At -53º, it's hard for anybody to survive. I can't write much longer. I need to save my energy.

September 23rd, 2026: Day 9 of Cumulus Project

What’s this? It’s warmer today! It’s just 5º, but it’s an improvement! Maybe they fixed the machine. I don’t know. If the weather continues to improve, I’ll believe it.

September 24th, 2026: Day 10 of Cumulus Project

The weather improved again AND the power came back! It’s a toasty 72º, inside. Outside, on the other hand, is still in the negatives, but it quickly reaching the positives. I got a call from the government again, and they confirmed my suspicions; the Cumulus Project had a “slight” glitch, but the problem has been fixed, and that the weather will be back to normal in 3 days. Yay.

September 25th, 2026: Day 11 of Cumulus Project

It’s 35º today, and the snow has started to melt. Oh, how I missed color. It seems like nothing else can go wrong, and I should relax and wait for the temperature to rise. “A sudden hurricane is going to wipe us out,” I’m thinking pessimistically.

September 26th, 2026: Day 12 of Cumulus Project

Wow, it’s getting warmer by the second. 59º sure is warm compared to -53º. Well, tomorrow should be the last day I write about in here. Hopefully, the weather will have cleared up, and everything is back to normal, or as normal as it can get.

September 27th, 2026: Day 13 of Cumulus Project

This is it. 80º and sunny weather end this chaotic 2 weeks. The weather is fixed, and the neighbors are staying quiet, although, there are considerably fewer. I got the official word today that 13 people didn’t survive. My guess: they drove in the snow.