I Love You Too | Teen Ink

I Love You Too

October 3, 2008
By Anonymous

“I love you.”
He said it clearly, and without hesitation. His smile spelled out as much and his eyes were shining with a kind of joy.
She watched him for a moment.
“I don’t love you. I’m sorry, I just don’t.”
He frowned.
“Not…not even slightly?”
“What are the odds of one true love? I doubt it’s even possible to love someone, maybe care about them, want to be with them, but love is…it creeps me out.”
He lowered the flowers he was carrying.
“Love creeps you out? Is that even possible?”
She nodded.
“Love scares me, I don’t like thinking that I could be with someone forever. I like you a lot, I want to stay with you like this a while, but it’s not love, not for me.”
“But what you just described is love, you’re scared of it, but that’s what it is.”
She shook her head.
“It’s not love, it’s lust and enjoying your company. Simple human emotion.”
“So you’re just blowing away love with pleasure and desire, thinking that true, pure love can’t exist? I’d die for you, and you’ve told me you’d do anything you had to if it kept me safe, that’s love.”
“Today I woke up crying, yesterday I spent half an hour worrying about nothing. Human emotion, that’s all this is.”
“Do you enjoy it?”
“Yes.”
“And you’d die for me?”
“Yes.”
“But it’s not love?”
She nodded.
“Never we know what comes tomorrow, be it joy or be it sorrow. But I’ll hold your hand and tell you it’s alright, because I love you, even if you won’t admit it.”
“Just because you dramatically monologue doesn’t mean I’ll admit to loving you.”
“So you love me you just won’t admit it?”
“I…never said…”
He smiled knowingly.
“I’ll wait until you get over your fear of love, I’ll be here by your side until that time.”
“You’re still an emotional sap who can’t see that it’s just hormones affecting his brain.”
With a huge grin on his face he said “Love you too.”

The author's comments:
I was listening to a band called Ima Robot when I was writing this, fans of them can spot how the lyrics affected what I wrote. Have fun!