The Angel | Teen Ink

The Angel

October 2, 2008
By Anonymous

My life has always been a nightmare. Kids making fun of me just because I look different than everyone else. I didn’t have a single friend in the world. I don’t even know why I was born or who my real parents are, my parents adopted me in a foster home. I was about to give up on life, but that all changed when the new boy arrived.
It was like any other day. I was getting ready for school like always, getting dressed, brushing my long black hair, having breakfast, and walking to school. When I got there everyone seemed lively that day. I went to go sit where I always do, right next to the window. I don’t know why but ever since I was little I have always dreamed of flying. Maybe because I was jealous of how birds were so free, I have always thought of myself as a bird locked up in a cage. When the teacher arrived I saw a boy right behind him.
“Class!” he announced. “We have a new student. I want you to give a warm welcome to John.”

He had brown hair that would cover his eyes, very tall, and a warm smile. John looked like a very kind boy.

When class was over we went to lunch. As always I sat by myself, while I was eating I saw that John was looking for a place to sit. Then I saw him heading toward me.

“Hi, is anyone sitting here?” he asked.

“No.” I said.

“My name is John, and yours is?”

“L-Lucy.” I said quietly.

He just smiled at me. Maybe he’s different.

At first I was confused, why was he being so nice. The more we talked, the more curious he was about me. He would ask me questions like where do I come from, what’s my favorite TV show, and what kind of pets I had. This was the first time anyone has asked me these kinds of things and it was really frustrating that he was being so nice to me.

“Why?” I whispered.

“What?” he said confused.

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

He looked at me and then at the floor.

“Because I like you.” he said with a smile on his face. I was frozen in shock because this was the first time anyone has ever said that to me. I was so happy that I started to cry. I could not bear to show him my tears so I stormed off.

The next day I saw him several times in the hallway but I did not talk to him the whole day. At the end of the day two bullies pushed me against the lockers.

“You better leave him alone if you know what’s good for you!” one of the girls said furiously.

“What?” I questioned.

“YOU KNOW WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!!” she said. “We know you like John and you better stop talking to him because of anyone is going to like anyone it is not going to be you!”

“Hey leave her alone!”

I suddenly heard a familiar voice.

“John?!” I said in amazement.

And then I saw John right there defending me. He told the girls that they needed to leave me alone.

“Thanks.” I said in relief.

“No need.” he replied. “If you want I can walk you home.”

“That be nice.”


The next thing I knew we were at the pond sitting under a tree. My heart was racing and I was so nervous but why? I liked him but as a friend, so why was I so nervous? Why? Every time I glanced at him he was closer to me. The more closer he was to me the more my heart was racing. Why?!

“So are you always bullied?” he asked.

“Most of the time.” I said in a low voice.

“I wonder why?”

“Well, this is going to sound weird but ever since I was little I was always alone. Not a single friend in the world.”

“Not ONE!” He said in shock.

“Nope. I have always thought that’s why they always bully me. Like an antelope and a lion, who do you think the lion will catch the weak antelope or the strong ones?”

“The weak one.” he replied.

“Exactly. The lion will try to get the weakest one so they don’t have to work as hard to get there meal.”

“Oh, I get it.”

“But that all changed when you came.” I whispered. “You helped me regain my courage to fight against the lion. I’m sorry about the lecture, I better be going.”

I quickly got up and started to walk way when suddenly John grabs me and pulls me into his arms.

“I so sorry that all that has happened to you and I am so happy I was able to help.” he said in a low voice.

That time I could not help myself from crying from relief. Now I know why I heart was racing, because I love him.

The next day was a disaster. It all happened so fast that I could not think. It was an ordinary day at school, the mean insults, all the school work, and eating lunch with john. But suddenly the fire alarm went off.

“Everyone get out.” I yelled.

But the fire was to fast for us to escape.

“Lucy! Lets get out of here!” he screamed.

“Wait! There still people in the building!”

I ran inside the building to help the others. I used up all my strength to get the other people out, suddenly the roof almost falls on me when John pulls me out of the way.

“Thanks.” I said in relief.

We tried to run as fast as we could to get out of the building before it collapsed. On our way there I heard a rumble on top of us and the roof was starting to fall. Right before it fell on us I shoved John out of the way. He was able to make it out but it was too late for me.

“Lucy!” he yelled.

When I opened my eyes I saw him grasping my hand and everyone even John in tears. Then I slowly closed my eyes.