Odd Ball | Teen Ink

Odd Ball

Ring Ring, my alarm shot off, sounding as if it was a fire alarm. I woke up, and I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, “another horrible day.’’ It seems like it happens every day. The reason for that cause is because my mom wants me to go to an all white school so I can get a better education. In the 1800’s, my family farms for these white people, and we hardly get paid at all. At school, everybody beats me up, because I’m black. I’m not much of a talker, but I wish I was so I can stand up for myself.

“Julious, time for breakfast,” she hollered, sounding as if a rhino ran down the stairs.

“Okay’’ mom, I replied. My mom usually makes me ham and milk all the time since that’s all we have just about. As I was done, I walked 30 minutes to school because we live so far away. As I was walking, I saw a white person from my school, so I hustled as far as I can go, trying to avoid the wedgies, and other bad mishaps.

Ring, Class begun. As I walked in, I got paper that was wrapped up in an askew way and they through it at me like I was a target. I just try to ignore them. Like I said, I’m not much of a talker, so I never want to tell anyone what happens in school.

“That’s enough kids, I think we’ve humiliated him enough already”, announced the teacher Mrs. Briggs. Now class, we are going to sell miscellaneous items outside today”.

I got the hard items to sell, because of the whole racial thing again. I tried to say something, but I was blanked. As we got to the forest the three class bullies came up to me.

“Hey dork face,” they commented.

“What, I replied” in sarcasm, trying not to tear up.

“You don’t mind if you take our ramps and selling them right’’, snickered the bullies.

“Not at all, I replied, even though I really didn’t want to. Finally, I took some action and I stood up to the bullies. I threw their ramps back to them. I ran home to my mom and told her what happened at school. Mommy, kids at school are bullying me.

“Honey, I’m on the case.”

She took me to an all black school and transferred me there.

“We would be honored to have you here at our school Julious,” announced the principal.