Immigration | Teen Ink

Immigration

The year is 1942. It is a dark, rainy, and murky day. Vlad, a young, selfless boy at the age of 14, is inside his house, pleading with his parents.

“But mom, I don’t want to go. I want to stay here with you and dad,” exclaimed Vlad.

“You are going to America,” said his mom, Clarice, “whether you like it or not. That’s final.”

“Do as your mother says. It’s for the best. You are going to America!” pointed out his dad, Sven.

Vlad finally gave in and started packing his clothes and possessions that night. He boarded the boat bound for America the next day and said good-bye to his parents. Vlad was told by his parents that they would try to join him someday in America.
He goes to his cabin and never looks back. After a few days at sea, Vlad looks out the porthole in his cabin and sees Ellis Island. He had finally made it to America! Vlad was going to live in America and get off this ship. He also was sad that his parents weren’t going to experience America with him.
Once Vlad took his first step on American soil, all of his worries went away. He grew accustomed to American traditions very fast and soon leaved New York, New York and moved to Buffalo, New York. While Vlad is living in Buffalo, he meets a beautiful girl named Jan. They end up marrying and they have 3 boys, John, Clyde, and Bill, together.

After they lived together for about 6 years, Vlad receives a letter from New York, New York, saying that there were 2 people looking for a man named Vlad. The letter also said that they were from Germany. He could not believe his eyes! His parents had finally left Germany and come to America after all these years! He immediately leaves for New York City with his new family to go and see his parents. Once they get to New York City and sail out to Ellis Island, Vlad finds his parents and exclaims,

“You made it! I knew you would come!”

I’m glad we could make it, too,” said Clarice.

Vlad introduces his wife and kids to his mom and dad once they stop embracing. He then takes them all back to Buffalo and they live together for the next 10 years. After 10 years of living together, Clarice and Sven pass away in their sleep. Vlad wakes up in the morning to see his parents lying in their bed, dead. He then grieves for 3 whole weeks!

After he is over his grief and his parent’s death, Vlad leaves for Florida to take some time off from his life in Buffalo. Once he comes back 5 weeks later, Vlad is terminally ill with an unexplainable disease. His last words were,

“It’s ok. Don’t grieve. I will soon be with my parents again. Good-bye.”

Vlad’s final days on Earth were his happiest and most anxious. When he dies, he dies with a smile on his face. After so many years without his parents, he finally gets to be with them forever.

sallyjane said...
conner's short story was well written with feelings that life is to short for some but a feeling of happines.

suneecal said...
on Dec. 5 2008 at 2:55 am
Very good story, it reads as if it could be true.

Aunt Kathie said...
on Dec. 5 2008 at 2:31 am
Hi Connor, You don't know me, but I am your mom's first cousin!! Her aunt, my mother, sent me this story and I am very impressed. I have been a teacher and school counselor for many years, so I know great writing when I read it! Congratulations on your success and keep up the great work. Please give your mom, and your grandma and grampa a big hug from me. I hope that someday we will meet. Love your Aunt Kathie

toots said...
Simply outstanding for a student of this age. excellent writing skills.

conbret said...
Great story by a great kid....

KenpoDave said...
Very nice. The author is very creative in his story-telling. Looking forward to his next work. Good job.