Overcoming Blindness | Teen Ink

Overcoming Blindness

September 30, 2008
By Anonymous

I walked, well, shuffled really down the hallway. I could hear the music he was playing. Slow and sweet telling the story of a torn heart. I wanted to find him, comfort him, but my world of dark restrained me. I hadn’t been down this hallway for years, since the accident. I didn’t trust just sound anymore, I couldn’t. I found myself incapable of confidently flowing among the crowd in the hallway. I had to reach him; he was sight for me, light in a dark world. I hadn’t talked to him, but I could feel him thinking about me every day since the beginning of school. My heightened sense of hearing, hearing mare then just sound, I could tell it was him, The mood of the piano he was playing was part of his personality. The song he played was beautiful. It was one of those songs that sounded familiar, like it was part of you. The first time you heard it. I was feeling along the wall, trying to remember where I was. Suddenly the wall dropped away from me I gasped. I stumbled and cried out as I hit the ground. I curled up in a ball, sobbing, wishing for sight in the smog that will surround me for eternity, I heard the soft footsteps before I notice the music had stopped. I reached all behind me for the wall it wasn’t there. I reached all around me for something to stabilize me. The footsteps stopped, I froze and listened. I hadn’t depended on my ears so much for weeks since I had heard that terrifying thought. I could hear him breathing near me, not three feet away. I listened harder and heard his heart beat speeding up. Underneath that I heard his mind working, wondering, and loving. I gasped and tried to stand up. I lost my hold on concentration. Directions disappeared from me. All I could hear was his breathing, his heart beating, and his brain working. The little sounds filled me with the confidence I had lost. I stood up, strength filling me. I heard him taking one step toward me. I reached out and ended up touching his chest. I could feel my face turning red as I brushed my hands up to feel his face. Every shape, slant, bump, and curve falling way under my fingertips. He was beautiful as far as I could tell. I flinched when my fingertips came to rest on a scar on his jaw line. I wondered what had happened. My experience from scars I had felt before told me that it was a dog bite. It felt to large and to deep to be an ordinary dog bite though. Wolf bite my mind had gone on it’s own little exploration and had searched his head for the answers. His father had set a wolf loose and had put his little son in front of the wolf. I gasped and backed away against the wall. Here was someone who was just as hurt as I was. His mom had saved him before the wolf had done too much damage. No one had been there to save me. I had terrible acid scars around my eyes, from when my mother had poured acid in them. I had been thirteen at the time. This boy had been four. My scars were hardly visible, I had been told, because of my makeup. His were impossible to hide.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be listening so deep to you.” I said quietly. I heard him laugh softly.

“Did you know it tickles when you do that?” He said his voice a lullaby to my vulnerable mind. I blushed he laughed again. I would go to the end of the earth and back to here his laugh.

Soon I was being guided down the hallway. We entered a room that I had realized was the music room from the smell. I stopped senses dancing in it. I had avoided the music room for three years, since I was blinded. I couldn’t stand the thought of listening to what I loved more then anything and not being able to play it at all. I had tortured myself with a lack of music. I was soon steered to a chair. He helped me find it though I didn’t need all that help. I could have probably found how to sit in it on my own. I also told him so, he just laughed at me. I heard he was moving away. Now remembering the setup of the room I realized, unless they had moved things that he was moving towards the piano. I was about to stand up when he reached it and started playing. It was a song that sounded familiar though I knew I had never heard it before. The sound filled me and I sat afloat on melody. I was hearing all parts of the song seeming to know the notes he was playing automatically. I was feeling sadness fill me for what I was missing. I walked forward to sit next to him. He seemed slightly surprised, but obliged and scooted over on the bench. I sat next to him. He was done with the song he had been playing. I felt light leave me again. Hearing music was almost as good as being able to see. In my own way, with his help, I was overcoming blindness. I reached out my hands to the piano keys and played a melody of my own. It was like magic because I hadn’t played piano for three years and I could still remember the chords and notes to the song I had written when I was thirteen. Eternity was the name of the song. I hoped he would love me for just as long. The boy had brought me back from a long cold winter. I hoped I could stay in the light of his summer forever.