Flight | Teen Ink

Flight

By MasonM44 SILVER, Maynard, Iowa
MasonM44 SILVER, Maynard, Iowa

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

She let the wind embrace her, let the air envelope her lungs as she soared through the limitless sky. The clouds spread out in every which direction, except up, because she was flying at the very top of it. Literally, at the very top of the world. Katie flew above the clouds, looking down at them with fiery laughter. Those clouds were stuck to wander along the same path, only letting the wind move them in the direction nature chose. Katie, on the other hand, was free to move wherever she pleased, whatever direction her mind chose to go. She was completely, and utterly free. Not bound by the laws of gravity that captivated all mortals.

Her wings took another large beat and she soared across the sky so fast it put a military jet to shame. Katie had no idea where she was, no idea where she was headed, all she knew was that she was free from all restrictions and she reveled in it. She was free from her reform school, where her teachers were so mean she wanted to stab a knife in their neck. She was finally free of the asylum she resided in for six months after she killed her brother. None of that seemed to matter now, not in the sky, and frankly, she didn’t feel like it would matter anywhere. But she knew it would. When she landed all of it would come rushing back to her like a brick wall slamming on her from above.

A single tear leaked from her eye and painted a path down her cheek before it slid off and was lost to the wind. But it was not a tear of sadness, it was a tear of joy. She was beyond happy at her flight, but was sad that it had to end. She didn’t want it to end. She didn’t want to stop flying. She didn’t want to stop being what she was right now.

She didn’t want to stop being an angel.

This is an excerpt from my book called Erased. This is in the first book when she has a vision about being an angel.