Curse of the Happy Ever After | Teen Ink

Curse of the Happy Ever After

July 31, 2013
By MasonM44 SILVER, Maynard, Iowa
MasonM44 SILVER, Maynard, Iowa
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.


My whole family, they’re all dead, and it’s all my fault.
I had no idea why it happened, how my wish came true, I didn’t know if it was magic, or just sheer luck. But what I did know is that it was a curse. A curse placed on me. I suppose it could’ve been a dream come true, to have a wish come true, if I would’ve wished for something good. But instead, I made the mistake of wishing for something that I didn’t really mean. That’s where the curse started.
It happened to us slowly, one by one. Taking its time with my family, making me realize the horridness of what I had asked for.
The story goes back exactly six years ago, to when I was eighteen and about to graduate. It was a dark November evening, with the wind whipping around our house. Snow crested window were in every which direction, and we—my family—all sat in the living room drinking hot coco and warming our hands at the fireplace my father had willingly prepared. It included my beloved sister Elena, my two brothers, Emmett and Ronald, my two parents, mom and dad—Ashlyn and John—our scruffy cat, Nibbles. And of course me, Tyler.
We were a close knit family, always doing things with each other, always cracking jokes, but when my family got on my nerves for the very last time, I cracked. In the living room, lighted by firelight, Emmett and Ronald had been goofing around, doing what they always did. They were both juniors—just a year below me—and they were twins. On most days I liked them, they were funny. All the time they would tell the family dirty jokes that would make the men laugh, but make the women roll their eyes and think, how is this funny?
But that day they took it too far.
About an hour ago I had gotten back from a date with Jessica, my girlfriend, and they were creating scenarios about what we had done on the date. I told them we just went to the movies, but they didn’t believe me. They began talking about personal stuff, things that shouldn’t be said in front of your family, or anyone for that matter. I told them to shut up, but they wouldn’t take no for an answer. They kept pestering me about what we had really done, and I told them once again, but this time they said—
“We know what went to the movies means.” They cracked up and fell to the couch laughing. I stood up and yelled—
“None of this is your business! Get your own life to make fun of!” And then I stormed up the stairs to my bedroom, but only after punching Emmett in the face. Next time it would be Ronald, but I think he got the message. Little did I know, there wasn’t going to be a next time.
I reached my bedroom and laid down on my bed, furious about what my two brothers were making fun of. They were dirty and shouldn’t be talking like that. But if I was in their shoes, I wouldn’t be surprised if I talked like that, so I cut them some slack. I mean, they were just kidding, but it still made me ferocious, nearly bursting with anger.
That night, I angered myself to sleep.
The next day, I got up and went to breakfast. They were all standing down there smiling, Emmett and Elena popped out of the crowd and, while Emmett got down on one knee, Elena stood there like she was shocked.
“Oh, Jessica, will you marry me?” Emmett asked Elena, obviously portraying me to a comedic extent.
“Of course, Tyler. What reason do I have to say no?” Elena said dramatically. Emmett put a ring pop on her finger and he got up and pretended to kiss Elena. Then Elena pushed him away and said, “this is the only ring you can afford? We’re done,” she said snidely, sounding nothing Jessica does.
I was furious all over again. “This is none of your business, back off!” I roared at them, making them each jump.
“Oh, but Tyler, you need to watch that attitude,” Elena said sarcastically, trying to sound like Jessica but, once again, failing miserably.

I stormed out of the room and turned back only when I got to the door. “I wish you were all dead!” And then I slammed the door behind me. A few days later I realized the severity of that mistake. And I wished I could take it back.
I walked through school with Jessica, holding hands with interlaced fingers. That week, the library was being remolded, so they were taking bookshelves filled with books in and out of the library freely. When Jessica and I neared the library Emmett came into view. He was on his phone, texting his friends that were probably ten feet away. He was unaware of the bookshelf that was being hefted up by four men. He ran into one of the men carrying it and the entire bookshelf collapsed on him. They guys—even with the help from everyone in the hallway—couldn’t get it up in time.
He died.
That same day Elena tumbled down the stairs at school and broke her neck on impact with the floor. As if losing one sibling wasn’t enough, now I had lost two. I was a wreck. The school let me out early that day, but I was too lost in sorrow, I couldn’t even drive. Jessica had to take me home and by the time we got there, my whole house had burst into flames, with my parents and cat still trapped inside. The whole house burned to the ground. My parents’ bodies were in such bad shape that they didn’t let me see them. The doctors said I wouldn’t be able to recognize them anyway, they told Ronald the same, along with Jessica.
By that point, I knew something was wrong, and I feared for Ronald and Jessica’s lives. My whole family had died, and I had this horrible gut feeling that Ronald would be next. Two weeks went by and nothing happened. Eventually, I began to relax. I wasn’t as tense all the time, and I could actually do my schoolwork. Ronald and I stayed with Jessica, we had no one else left. Both my parents were only Childs, and both sets of my grandparents were dead. Jessica’s parents had the grace to let us stay with them. Although I was eighteen, and technically an adult, I still needed parental figures in my life. Her parents did that. Months went by and nothing happened, and finally, I told myself it was all a coincidence. Coincidentally, that day Ronald was hit by a speeding car and he died on the scene. At that point, I was left all alone, no real family, only my girlfriend who loved me dear.
Graduation came and none of my family was there to celebrate with me. They were all lying in a cemetery rotting in cheap graves. Thankfully, Jessica had her parents and in a few years, they became my parents as well.
I proposed to Jessica and she said, “of course, Tyler. What reason do I have to say no?” But this time the words were spoken with love, and when I stood up Jessica kissed me with such a force, such a passion, that I knew—
I would have my happy ever after.


The author's comments:
This is a spur-of-the-moment thing. I had no intention of writing it but it just came to my mind so I thought I'd try it.