Midnight Stone | Teen Ink

Midnight Stone

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Oliver. Oliver was out spoken, friendly, and smart. He tried to keep no secrets, telling everyone his fears, wants, and feelings. No one, not even Oliver, was sure why he did this-but he did have one secret.

One mid-summers evening, Oliver was going to a party with his family. Ellie’s parents were hosting a small fiesta to celebrate news that involved everyone who was invited. Oliver tried to hide his excitement; attempting to cover up the glee he got from being able to see Ellie.

You see, his secret was Ellie. Oliver loved watching Ellie’s cherry-red lips move when she talked, listening for the slight pause before she said anything, when she carefully picked each word was about to use, but most of all, Oliver loved looking into her eyes. He loved seeing the blue circles around her hazel eyes, which had spots of orange trough out them. The eyes that warily guarded her secrets, the heavily locked gateway to the realm of her mind.

Before he realized it, they were at Ellie’s house. He got out of the car, hiding how nervous he suddenly felt.

After a luscious dinner and small talk with Ellie-he never could bring himself to talk about deep affairs with her-Ellie’s parents were ready to announce the big surprise.

“Now Ellie, we know how much you’re wanted to go to Australia,” her dad’s powerful voice filled the entire room.

Ellie’s calico eyes shot directly into her dad’s, full of wonder and hope.

“So we set up a foreign exchange student program where you will spend the first semester with a family there, and the next semester, the family’s kid will stay with us,” Her mother said entrancingly. Her voice cracked as she said, “Isn’t that great?” It was obvious she was holding back tears.

Ellie with the hint of a smile, simply questioned, “When?”

“Next week,” her father replied, because his wife had failed to remain in control of her tear ducts and was nearing hysterics.

Ellie, now in full-fledged grin-something rarely seen-went and hugged both her parents. She muttered something that sounded to Olive like, “I love you both so, so much.”

When she finished her embrace, Ellie’s mom excused herself and her dad served desert.

Oliver sat there stunned. What am I going to do?! I have only one week! I’m going to have to tell her tonight, she may not have time while she gets ready. His mind reeled, as he silently decided what to do. He watched for something that was sure to come, when Ellie would get up and walk out alone.

After what felt like an eternity, but was probably only a coupe minutes, Ellie did exactly what was predicted of her. Oliver followed, even thought he know this was the time Ellie liked to be alone, to ponder on the news that was just given to her. He figured that this was important enough.

“Umm…Ellie?”

Ellie looked up startled and immediately found Oliver’s eyes. As she gazed into his eyes, he returned the stare, finding strength in the depth of her eyes.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” he asked and listened for the pause. If it’s longer than five, he thought she is probably too aggravated to answer and I should leave her alone.

One…Two…Three…

(oh no!)

Four…f-

“Sure,” she replied and Oliver exhaled deeply in relief, but immediately became more nervous than before.

“I wanted to tell you…” he paused, looked back into her eyes, and continued, “I wanted to tell you that I’ve liked you a lot for a long time, probably even love you, and even though I’m glad you get to go to Australia, I’m going to miss you…so much.” He took a deep breath, looked at the floor, and looked back at Ellie’s face to see her reaction, but, as always, it showen no intimation of what was going throught her mind. Ok, same rules apply he thought

One…two…three…four…five

Because she showed no sign of emotion, Oliver first looked out of the bottom-left corner of his eyes, then slowly turned and glumly began to walk out the door.

Suddenly, he felt her hand on his shoulder and inhaled, in surprise. He turned around, feeling the warmth of a new hope spread through his body.

Once he had made the full 180° turn, he found her eyes, as if it was by habit. But instead of the beautiful and exotic stare he had come to love and found strength in, he came face to face with a stare as cold as stone and as black as night.