orphaned. | Teen Ink

orphaned.

Some people think we live in a fantasy world. Where there’s never violence, perfect communities and everything is peaceful. They think we live in this normal life with a married couple living in the suburbs with 2 kids in perfect little home with a picket fence surrounding it, where they will soon grow old and die together in love. And the kids are the perfect little siblings and they never argue. There 1 year apart so they are basically the same age and have so much in common. And it’s irregular for them not to always be smiling. That’s just the perfect little world. Well at least that’s how I look at it. I see happy families all around. Not around me of course, mostly on TV. So I look at this as if it will never happen to me again.
I had a happy family with my parents, my sister and our little dog roxxie. We lived in a nice neighborhood and we were always happy. Until one fatal day that involves a fire, 3 dead people, a father a mother and a teenage girl. And let’s not forget about the scorched puppy. That day also includes an ambulance, fire fighters and police officers, who were giving a 14 year old now orphaned boy the 3rd degree because he happened to be the only one in the family who was unharmed. O yeah, and lets not forget about the

“super-powers” the boy developed , to slow down time at will , minutes after he reached out his left hand to try to stop the burning pieces of his roof from falling on top of his big sister. Yeah but we can talk about those little details later.

Well basically im a normal 15 year old boy. Dark brown hair, brown eyes, 5’10, and a size 9 ½ foot. I’m very athletic and I like to play basketball. My name is Kenny Williams, and my parents and sister passed away a year ago. I know live in an orphanage with a about 23 other kids, aging from 6 months old to 17. Some of the kids have amazing stories to tell on how they got in this place, and others have very little information on there blood relatives. A lot of them are trouble makers, basically because they came form a troubled past. But none of them are as “troubled” as me.
About that “power “I developed, it is actually the thing that saved my life. A year ago, right before that fatal fire that killed my family and dog, I was running into my inflamed house after coming home from martial arts practice, when as soon as I opened the door I walked into a living room surrounded in fire and smoke, and in the mist of it all I seen my sister Cassandra, lying on the floor. And when she seen me she reached out her ands and screamed “help me!” and I started running towards her but right before I got half way to her a tripped on moms antique carpet witch was slowly smoldering. And as me and my sister lay on the floor just about 10 feet from each other, I noticed how the roof was burning right over her head and that’s when I screamed to her with my hand towards her, “ watch out! Above you!!” and right after that, I remembered seeing my sister flattened by pieces of our house, and a really weird shadow of a figure slowly walked down our stairs, before pieces of the burning roof fell inches in front of me. That’s when I had to rush to the front door, teary eyed inhaling tons of smoke. And when I reached 4 feet away from the front door more burning wood started to drop right above my head. And inches before it touched my dark brown hair, I reached my hair up and the burning wood had began to move in slow motion. Like something out of the matrix. I then ran completely out of the house and when I reached the lawn I feel and was un cautious. And was quickly awoken by the ambulance sirens. And I will never forget that I was a milla second from being burned to a crisp. Just like my happy family (and roxxie) was.

B.fish said...
on Mar. 28 2009 at 1:38 am
This was awsome.

sammy said...
on Oct. 2 2008 at 3:16 am
wonderful write!