Eve’s Story | Teen Ink

Eve’s Story

As, I stare at the worn, crinkled letter, my heart burns. This must be what it feels like; to have a sense of accomplishment. I did it! I made the Track and Field Olympic team! The meet will be held in Singapore, a week from now. Mumzy and Pa even agreed to allow me to bring Adam, my gorgeous boyfriend. We have been going out for three months as in today.

Unfortunately, I have a sentiment that I won’t be going. The goals that once seemed reachable have departed from my life. They are just silly fantasies nowadays. They haunt me in the night, and silent me in the day.

I’m not your average sixteen year old girl. I skip every other dance to lift weights. Every summer, since I was five, I would workout three times a day. I get Sunday (and sometimes Friday) off. I feel like I have let my youth slip away.

Here I lay, surrounded by cold, hard, white walls. They mock me. The medicine, across from my bed on a counter, glares at me with big poignant eyes. I have been diagnosed with cancer and have suffered from being paralyzed. I weakly say this as Adam types it.

I don’t want him to have to deal with this tragic sorrow. I don’t want him to be distressed but, he won’t listen. He doesn’t want to leave me. He deserves to be with someone better. I’m just a bald, paralyzed, and helpless burden. I’m glad I’m to weak to cry because, I don’t want to dismay him more than I already have.

After typing that last bit, he raps his long muscular arms around me.

He holds me tight and says, “Eve, we will get through this together. There is no girl more pulchritudinous then you. I will never abandon you. You made the team. You just got caught up in hindrances. You’re an amazing athlete, nothing will ever change that.”

He kisses my forehead and walks back to the computer.
*****

If you don’t get anything else out of this story, I want you to hear me say that you should live their life as if there is no tomorrow. Strive to be the best you can be. Accomplish your dreams while enjoying life. Dream. Believe. Achieve. Chances are you won’t be in the same situation as me. Even though I may be fragile, I still feel strong, for I have conquered my biggest goal.

--Eve died a month after I typed this (On our forth month anniversary). I’m never going to be able to love again--