Lost | Teen Ink

Lost

A shiver ran through her body as she opened her eyes to the night moon. She struggled to remember where she was and felt fear shoot through her as she slowly realized she didn’t even know who she was.

She gasped jerking up. She looked down seeing that she was unclothed. Wrapping her arms around herself she stood up examining her surroundings.

The moon shone on a small clearing. Beside of where she woke up was a small black pond. She could see the forest around her draped in moonlight making it’s shadows deeper. Despite knowing she was in a forest she couldn’t hear anything. No crickets, no night birds, not even the barest breath of wind.

She edged closer to the pond sensing that it was safe. The forest seemed almost unnatural. She couldn’t shake the feeling that she was in danger. She had no reason to feel this way but it didn’t matter. She was no longer worried about who she was or where she was. She was only concerned about how to escape. She looked around to find an escape route. Her shoulders slumped as she realized it didn’t matter. She didn’t know these woods. At least by the pond she was safe.

Snap!

The girl jerked toward the noise. There was no doubt about it there was someone there. Her heart pounded in her chest. What if it was the person who put her here, Who stole her memory? She opened her mouth to scream.

“Please don’t do that.” The voice snaked toward her crawling into her skin. She had no choice but to obey. “Well aren’t you something? You woke up sooner than I expected.” She strained to see him but floated at the shadows just out of her sight.

“Who am I?” She asked stepping toward the pond. Why was he staying in the woods? “Where am I? Please sir I’m begging you to tell me!” She heard a low chuckle. The sound of it made her hair stand on end. “What do you mean by I woke up sooner than you expected?” She had a bad feeling about his answer.

“Well dear, to answer your question, you are nobody.” She sucked in her breath. “I call you Nymph. I created you from the water in that pond there. It’s no matter who you are, all you need to know is that you belong to me.” He laughed and it sounded like brittle leaves.

Nymph felt hot angry tears well beneath her eyes. She couldn’t stand the thought of someone owning her. The more she thought about it the angrier she got. With that anger came something else. Something new, something....powerful. Her teeth gleamed as she smiled. She could feel that the man was nervous.

“What are you smiling about? Stop! You are mine and are to listen to me!” He was nearly shouting this time. She closed her eyes and focused on the pond. He had said she was made from it, therefore that means she can control it.

“You made a mistake this time.” She whispered loud enough for him to hear. “You made something too powerful for you to control. No one can control water.”She raised her hands and with it came the black water of the pond. Her hands moved as if possessed. She loved it. Nymph shoved the water at the spot that the man was standing encasing him in water. She pulled him to her and whispered.”I am someone. Someone more powerful than you.” With that he water gushed in his mouth, his ears, his nose and eyes. Her laughter was carried on the wind throughout the forest. She was free.

The
End