A Simple Twist of Fate | Teen Ink

A Simple Twist of Fate

September 16, 2008
By Anonymous

He smiled at her. Her heart skipped a beat, her palms went sweaty and she felt butterflies. “Does he see me now” she wondered. At that moment she saw someone run beside her and hug him. Her heart fell as her breathing became normal again. He didn’t notice that she was behind the whole time. Her name is Mirage and she is 17 with long black hair and almond shaped green eyes. His name is Dylan and he has pale skin shoulder length black hair and deep blue eyes. Mirage and Dylan had been together for two years, and then one day about two months ago he stopped talking to her. When she would go up to him to talk to him he would just stare right through her as if she wasn’t even there. Mirage was so in love with Dylan and she had never been able to let go, not even when he started dated Emma about a week ago. Mirage could never figure out what happened between them. Two months ago he dropped her off at her house and her family and she went out to eat. She didn’t see him in school the next few days and when he returned it was as if he had forgotten about her.


Mirage slowly turned and walked up the stairs toward the library. She has a research paper due the next day and she hasn’t even started on it. She typed in newspaper articles from the past 3 months in the search engine. As she scrolled down something caught her eye and she clicked on it and read……..


Three die in automobile accident
Last night about 6:45 p.m. a car carrying three passengers served off the road onto a tree killing all inside the car. Mother Ilene Brinkman Father Erik Brinkman and their only child Mirage Brinkman were all pronounced dead at the scene. Memorial services held at capstone cemetery tomorrow at 10:30 A.m.


Mirage blinked her eyes and sat back in her chair. She could not stop shaking. “How can this be possible?” she murmured. “It can not be”. She stood up shaking all over. “If this is a joke it is not funny”. She ran around the library screaming “Can anyone see me?” She grabbed her books and fled out of the building and through the empty parking lot. Everything she ran past was a blur for she had one destination in mind. She ran and did not stop until she reached the Capstone Cemetery. She searched the headstones for what seemed like hours until she found what she hoped she wouldn’t find.




Mirage Brinkman



17 years
Loving daughter, friend, person


R.I.P.


She sat there staring for hours until a movement made her turn away. She saw Dylan walking up with a bundle of flowers and tears in his eyes. He leaned down next to her grave. “He was so close” she thought. “If only he knew.” “Hi Mirage” he said so quietly.


“I’m sorry I haven’t been here in awhile but sometimes it really hurts. Today was really hard for me and I miss you more than ever. I hope you are waiting for me because I need you so much. I love you, I never stopped loving you.” Mirage closed her eyes and let his words sink in. She finally knew the truth and now she felt so complete, as she slowly disappeared into the night.