The Invincible Mariabella | Teen Ink

The Invincible Mariabella

“Millicent Chloe Crawford!” I heard my name being called from downstairs.

I screamed back, “What?”

“Hurry up! School starts in 15 minutes!” my mother shouted.

Oh, hey! I’m Millicent. I’m 14 years old and I go to Camelot Academy Junior High School in Durham, North Carolina. And this is my personal diary.

I’ll tell you a little about myself. I have long, wavy, dark brown hair and light blue eyes, but I have glasses. I love to dance and cheerlead, but I am very shy and I would never go out for a team. I keep it to myself. I’m pretty sure no else knows about my passion for dancing and cheerleading except for me, and well, now you. I have also have never had a boyfriend, let alone had my first kiss. I envy the ‘It’ girls. They’re so commanding and in control. I could never be like that. I don’t demand attention. It’s more like I repel it. People tend to accidently sit on me and say, “Whoops! Sorry, didn’t see you there,” and walk away.

So to help my self-esteem, my mom says that I need to talk to someone but I refuse to. Therefore, she got this journal; hence, me writing to you. Did I mention I also love to write? That’s another secret I keep from the rest of the world.

“Millie, get down here right now! You’re going to be late, which means I’m going to be late for work! Hurry up!” That’s my mom. Linda Marie Harrison. She works at Loyalty Bank and is a mother to twins.
Oh yeah, I have an annoying twin brother. Even though he is supposed to be the older, only by 15 minutes, he acts like he’s three. His name is Matthew Joshua Crawford. Even though I’m a total geek at my school, Matt is the most-popular boy. He has wavy, dark brown hair…just like me, and light blue eyes…just like me. There are some differences though, which mean the world to the ‘It’ group. He is football and basketball captain so you can imagine he’s physically cut for the job, and he doesn’t have glasses.
My dad, Ethan Hugh Crawford, is a police officer for Durham Police Academy. He and my mom are divorced. They have been for about 5 years now. Matt and I stay at our mom’s during the week and then we go to Dad’s for the weekends.
Oh shoot! I better get going. I better not be any later. Bye!

Hey there! It’s me, the invincible Mariabella! Let me tell you about myself. I’m the most powerful girl in my world, Milliphine. Every teenager in Milliphine receives there powers at age 12; whether you decide to use them for good or evil is your choice. Me? I prefer to protect the smarticals of my school, Camelatia. The ‘populars’ are the evil minions of their ruler, Mr. Mufaso. Mr. Mufaso is the wicked principal of Camelatia.
About my family? My mom and dad have been happily married for about 16 years now and are proud parents of twins. My brother, Marco, is the same age as me, 14, and in the same grade, 8th. My mother, Lucia, is the head of all managing Milliphine money, MMM. My father, Enrico, is the protector of Milliphine and its people.
Today in Debate class, I was forced to speak about the tragedy known all over Milliphine: Milliphine Heatation. But I didn’t know how to begin. The crew clan began to make fun of me and whispering about me right in front of everyone. I overheard them starting rumors that I gave Marco a tail because I was jealous of his popularity. All I could think was, “I most certainly did not!” When all of a sudden I snapped back at their remarks, “If you’re not going to tell the truth, let me help you.” And BAM! I zapped them with my truth ray and they all started telling their deepest darkest secrets! The cutest boy in all of Milliphine, Tobroy, revealed that he has a crush on me! But I, the invincible Mariabella, don’t need a boy. I’m a lone wolf. I work alone to protect the smarticals of Milliphine. Well, that’s it for now. Talk to you later!

Hello. It’s Millicent again. Today’s a new day and it’s the weekend! Yay! But not being in the ‘It’ group limits what I do. Matt will probably go out with everyone and my dad will say, “Why don’t you take Millie?” and than he’ll answer, “Because she’s not popular. She’ll feel too awkward around everyone. She doesn’t know them and they don’t know her.” Then my dad will give him ‘that look’ parents give you when they know you are lying and trying to make you feel guilty. And Matt will say, “And I don’t want my favorite sibling to feel uncomfortable,” and pop an innocent smile. My dad will turn around and say, “She’s your only sibling,” and Matt will say, “Yeah, and my favorite!” and run out the door.
And once again I am stuck inside the house watching Happy Feet with my neighbor’s 3 year old.

Ayo! Mariabella here. Marco got stuck babysitting the neighbor’s kid, while I went out with Tobroy and his friends! For the first time I felt popular; Until my unfortunate discovery that they had planned to embarrass me in front of Tobroy. I got suspicious when I looked over and they were giggling and looking at me, so I used my Ultra-hear power and listened to their conversation. “Hey Ashneah! Did you hear? Bargus is going to ‘accidently’ spill his strawberry smoothie all over her and ruin her plans to conquer us populars.”
Just as Bargus was about to make his move, BAM! I zapped his drink and it turned around and fell right onto his brand new shirt! I looked at him and said, “Hey. You know what they say: when life gives you lemons, you ‘accidently’ spill the lemonade on your customer,” and left the populars.
Well, even though I have special powers, I still have a curfew so I better go. Talk to you next time!

Hello. It’s Millie. Once again, I am getting ready for my dreaded high school with my popular, annoying brother and his ‘peps.’ Why can’t I be one of them? I just want a chance to show them how it fells to be the unpopular, unnoticed girl who is just trying to survive high school. I guess it helps that I have the biggest crush on Toby. I know that he won’t do anything, even if he likes me, because of his friends. Why does the ‘It’ group care so much if he likes a geek? If they were really his friends than they would just want him to be happy. I guess that’s the consequence of being popular and well-known: you never know when your friends are your friends because they really like being around you or because they like the attention they get when they’re seen with you. I suppose that’s one good thing about being a geek: you’re friends have to like you for you because there’s nothing else to be attracted to. To bad I don’t have any friends. I’m a geeky loner.
Oh well I got to go to meet all my friends! (Don’t you love my sarcasm?)

Ciao! It’s Mariabella. Don’t you just adore Mondays? I just love to jump out of bed and go to school bright and early. SIKE!
At school, the teachers called me into the principal’s office because of my grades? I’ll have you know that I have a very acceptable and fantastic 4.0 average. As it turns out I got a detention for cheating off of Ashneah’s paper? I found this completely and utterly low, even for the lows of the Populars.
After school, I marched up to AShneah and confronted her. “Hey AShneah! The next time you wanna try to get me in trouble, make sure you check the date of which the original person started writing.” As I lifted up my paper that had the date marked ‘October 19th’ and hers that had ‘November 2nd,’ I saw the smirk on her pretty little face gradually disappear. I began to walk away and then turned back and said, “Oh and by the way, You have a detention to make up.” BAM! I zapped her and she frantically started running toward the detention center.
Well that’s all for now! Live your life..
Love, Mariabella

Hey! It’s the incredible Millicent here! Yes, it is me; not Mariabella. You see, I had created her as an alter-ago for myself. She was everything I wanted to be: confident, everyone knew her, and she even had a crush that was crushing her back.
I have decided to take my own advice and live my life because you only get one, and it’s short, so why not make it the best it can be? I talked to Toby for the first time today and as it turns out he has the same feelings for me, but he kept them a secret…sound familiar? And my brother and I get along because I stood up to the ‘It’ group and now they actually accept me as I am because my brother supported me. So don’t always expect the worse from people. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
And if there’s one other thing I have learned from Mariabella that I would like to share with you it is to live your life and make it the best it can be, even if you don’t have super powers. You can accomplish anything you put your mind to.
Love Always,
Your Millicent Chloe Crawford