Oh what a great surprise! | Teen Ink

Oh what a great surprise!

By YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida
YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida

Practice makes perfect!

I am so blissful! I just discovered something that might open doors towards my future. I feel like a rocket ready to be launched out into the world! This is what my exhilaration to education is like. Now you may be wondering, what am I enthusiastic about? Well, I’m glad you asked. I was walking down the hallway of the blue, huge building that runs a very far distance at my school. Up against the walls stand the dark blue lockers with locks in different colors. The emerald is as murky as grass after a storm. A brunette shade of indigo that is as shadowy as the sky at night. The bright color of a rose is as bright as the red blistering sun. The colors fly at me in a blur, for kids are running, springing, or walking either in a joyful, wretched, irritated, or casual way and I am rushing to class, like a bunny running away from its predator, trying to get to class on time. YASMIN!!! Out of the blue, my name is being called from the left side of me. I don’t usually have people call out my name randomly, so I turned and faced my acquaintance. One of my favorite teachers, Mrs. Huggins, who is my science teacher is beaming down at me and gesturing for me to come for a quick minute. She had a paper in her hand and I thought that I had forgotten something. In a flashing moment, I try to visualize if I indeed had forgotten something. My mind was blank for a moment. As if reading my thoughts, she assured me that I had nothing to worry about. Instead, it was a form to be filled out. At first I thought it was the field trip form. I didn’t want to go on the field trip this year. Once I saw the form, I started to object. But again, Mrs. Huggins put up her hand as to signal me to hush. As I slowly edged closer, I found out that it wasn’t a field trip form. It was a different form. On the top it stated, “2012 – 2013 PRISM 7th Grade Scholar Nomination”. My heart started racing once I saw those last two words. Then Mrs. Huggins started to explain the process of completing and submitting this form. This was an opportunity I was waiting for, an opportunity to acquire a scholarship for my future. In order to get a chance to win this opportunity, I have to choose one of the three essay questions and write an essay, attach to the form and submit. Once I turn it in, I might have the opportunity of obtaining a scholarship. It depends on the quality of my essay. My desires started to come true. I was going to have a chance to win a scholarship only if I do well on this one essay. DING!!! Oh no! That was the bell! As I walked quickly and swiftly, I slid right through the door, just before it shuts behind me as if the door will be sealed forever. As my professor begins to talk, I got a little off track, for I couldn’t get over the feeling of how fortunate I am to have this opportunity to a nominee for a scholarship.

This actually happened and I wanted to share out the good news. Unfortunately, I didn't win the scholarship. But my hopes are still up for another change to win.

YasminB. PLATINUM, Ocala, Florida

Practice makes perfect!

LOL!!  I actually won the PRISM award for the best in the district and I got a check worth of $125! 

Mrs. Ayres said...
on Nov. 26 2013 at 11:32 am
There is a scholarship in your future with your name on it...  I'm SURE of it!!!