Quest for Skittles or Descent into Madness | Teen Ink

Quest for Skittles or Descent into Madness

By moonman50 GOLD, Castle Rock, Colorado
moonman50 GOLD, Castle Rock, Colorado

Mr. Sanchez was talking, “When one sees what's at the end of the rainbow, the whole world will know, how to be at peace with oneself, and miniature creatures like an elf. This, class, is the truth that Ishmear wants us to see.”

What was he talking about? Oh wait, duh, I was asleep. I jerked awake.

“Mr. Rice, would you mind telling me the relationship between France and Russia during the edo period in Japan?”

Mr. Sanchez and I had this ongoing joke, that whenever I woke up from sleeping in class he would ask me questions that he knew I didn't know the answer to.

“Ummm. It was good,” I said.

“What was the relationship between Japan and the U.S. During world war two.?”

“Umm, it was very good.”

The class laughed, at least the nerds did.

“Why don't you take a trip to the principals office, for falling asleep in class.”

This was another joke that me and Mr. Sanchez had, if I failed to answer the questions from the first joke correctly, he would send me to the principals office. But I had a joke that I always played on Mr. Sanchez, when he played those jokes on me. I would not go to the principals office, I would go to his secretary's office and tell her that Mr. Sanchez sent me to the principal's office, she thought Mr. Sanchez was lame so she rolled her eyes, then told me to go into the office, only then did I go to the principals office.

“Condoliza, come in, I was expecting you. What with all the times you fall asleep, it's almost inevitable that you'll come to my office every day. So we have decided to test a drug on you. Say ah.”

I said ah. He shoved something down my throat, “Whenever you fall asleep, you will instantly shocked back awake. You may go now.”

I ran out of the office.

“Oh yeah one more thing, this drug is exp...”

I didn't hear the rest of what he said, I assumed that he meant experienced, but it didn't matter. But one thing that did matter was Skittles, I suddenly needed as many skittles as I could get. I ran down the hall towards the vending machines, they had skittles. I emptied my pockets of money and got as many skittles as possible. It was then that I noticed that it was raining, I didn't care, though, I downed my skittles. I still needed more, but something was hindering me, something didn't seem right, I realized what it was. Why was Mr. Sanchez talking about history in poetry class? It didn't matter, all that mattered right now were the skittles. I remembered right then that my friend Ishmear swarez Julian Polier Brutican (the reason he had such a long name is because he was not American) had brought a big bag of skittles with him for lunch. I headed back to Sanchez's classroom in order to get my friends bag. Sure taking skittles from friends was not cool, but I couldn't help myself. I walked towards what I thought was the classroom, I opened the door, and there was the teacher's lounge. I thought the teacher's lounge had a lock on it, but who cares. If I was a pack of skittles in the teacher's lounge, where would I hide? In the fridge, that's where I'd hide. I opened the fridge and saw the skittles, I gulped them down. I still needed more. I looked over my shoulder, I saw Ms. Allen and Mr. Dre totally engrossed in smooching, they didn't notice me. I knew there was something going on between those two. Then I realized, I knew where to get skittles, my house! I ran out of the school building. I saw Mr. Sanchez, he ran up to me.

“I forgot to tell you, the relationship between Japan and the U.S. during World War Two was very bad.”

“Thanks man,” I said as I continued to run home.

“You're welcome,” he yelled back, “Make sure you don't eat too many...”

He was then out of ear shot. Eat too many what? I asked myself. It didn't matter, I was going home. Then rain started to fall. It fell on the dry ground making it wet. I reached home, and entered I began to lay down on my bed, I felt something under me, it was skittles! I tore the bag open and out came hundreds of skittles. I consumed them. It wasn't raining anymore, but what I saw, was the most important thing ever.

“Taste the rainbow. Taste the Rainbow,” my head cried out to me, “Taste it!” There was a rainbow outside it was tall. “Taste the Rainbow.”

I ran outside, I had to taste the rainbow, I needed skittles, I needed to taste.

I ran with all my might, I climbed over buildings, I was going to taste the rainbow. I would make it. It kept getting farther away, I would never reach it it would be there. My only hope would be to get there. I tore my backpack off of my wings, I let it fall. It hit Mr. Sanchez. I could feel the breeze in my face, it was cool, I would reach the rainbow, I would taste it. It grew in size, I flew over oceans, I knew I would reach the end, I could taste it, I would taste it.

I reached it. I reached the end. I was there. I wrapped my mouth around it I began to bite. This would taste good. It would be great. My teeth sunk in, I tasted... nothing. It was the best thing I had ever tasted. An island popped up under the rainbow, there it was, a leprechaun., wait no, it was a guy on a lettercon. I didn't care, all I wanted was the rainbow. There was gold, all I wanted was the rainbow. It was all I needed. I had tasted the rainbow. But the gold turned into skittles, this is what I needed.

“Mr. Rice,” said the leper on the lettercon, “What is the relationship between Japan and Russia during the Crimean skirmish on the upper protozoan period?”

“It was very good,” I said

“You are very good,” he said.

“It was very good,” I said

“I know.”

He handed me the skittles, I fell down the stairs. Someone screamed. He handed me some skittles, he laughed, I laughed, I fell down the stairs. But the Skittles weren't skittles they were a hamburger. I laugh, he laughs. The rainbow falls. Day breaks. I eat the skittles. The train crashes. The skittles taste like the rainbow. I don't taste anything. He falls down the stairs, he hands me a burger. I eat the burger. We laugh. I cry. But he cries. I eat the burger. He eats the skittles. I taste the rainbow. I am the rainbow. He is the rain. I eat the skittles.

I jerk up. I had been asleep.

Mr. Sanchez was talking, “When one sees what's at the end of the rainbow, the whole world will know, how to be at peace with oneself, and miniature creatures like an elf. This, class is the truth that Ishmear wants us to see. This poem was written during World war Two by the famous writer Ishmear Swarez Julian Polier Brutican. Mr. Rice, what was the relationship between Japan and the U.S. During world war Two?”

“Ummm....” I knew this, it was in my dream, “It was very... umm... bad! Yes, bad!” I smiled for added effect.

Mr. Sanchez sighed, “Go to the principal,” he said.

My dreams are worthless.