Conversations Between a Girl and Her Reflection | Teen Ink

Conversations Between a Girl and Her Reflection

June 7, 2008
By Anonymous

I woke up that morning hating myself as usual. This time I hated myself even more because it was the first day of high school. Let me tell you, being a freshman sucks. Especially when you're me. Going to the same high school as all your 'friends', the perks of living in the suburbs, right. Wrong! I wish I could get away from them, but I can't.

My morning routine. That, well... it's the same every morning.(DUH!) I wake up, look at myself in the mirror, and say 'I hate you.' I go take a shower, get dressed, don't even bother to fix my hair, and look in the mirror and say 'I hate you'.

However, the whole point to the story is to tell you about the weirdest thing that happened to me that morning. My reflection said "I hate you too," then she laughed. I know what you're thinking, 'send out the loony truck,' right. Well, I'm not crazy.

"What did you say?" I asked anxiously.

"I said, I hate you too" my reflection replied. I blinked. Then my reflection completely changed. She looked prettier and neater. This was weird. So weird that I decided it was a sign telling me not to skip school, so I went to school.

I think it's weird how people stare at you when you wear all black. Eh... never understood that.

School was a pain. It's like they were waiting to come into the bathroom and tease me. 'They' are Josie and her henchmen, Lisa and Morena.

"Hello! Samantha, how was your summer." Josie asked me.

I gave no reply.

"Aw. Samantha's trying to be a big girl. Isn't that just adowable!" Lisa and Morena said in the most annoying voices.

My reflection seemed to frown and then sigh. "Oh my gawd! That Josie is just so annoying, don't you think?"

I was in such a state of shock, I had to force myself to nod. I whispered "can't they hear you?"

"Who?" she asked. I turned around.

They were gone.

The bell had rang. I was late for Science, so I decided I might as well skip class. I sat looking at the mirror waiting... just waiting for something to happen. I knew that beautiful girl in the mirror would talk to me.

"What you waiting for?" she asked.

"Um, Are you real? How come you don't look like me? How come you talk? Are you real?" I asked, trembling a bit.

"Hello, Einstein, I'm you. You can become me if you start believing in yourself." she smiled warmly.

I frowned. "What is that supposed to mean," I shouted, "Don't insult me!"

"Calm down, sorry. I'm here to help you through this school year. Now let me tell you, this school year will be hell, but..." she grinned "I'll help you get through it."

Wow, I thought to myself. I was in total shock.

"Now go to class, it's better to be there late than not be there at all." She told me impatiently. She grinned. I grinned backed, knowing this would be an exciting school year.

I actually went to class. On the way, I even thought about fixing my hair after Science class.