The Bullied Girl: A Message to a Reader | Teen Ink

The Bullied Girl: A Message to a Reader

A teenage girl walks into school on Monday. It does not matter what her name is or where she lives. She exists in every school, every playground, and every other place in the world one can imagine. To most, she appears to be just one of the crowd, but there is one very common characteristic about her that is usually ignored: she is one of the many victims of bullying.

This is a portrayal of one teenage girl and how she copes with being bullied. This is purely fictional and this is only a situation that could happen.

Karah Jackson arrived at school early Monday morning to work on her poetry as she did every morning. She asked for a pass and went straight to the library. She wrote her name on the sign in sheet and was pleased to use her favorite computer by the window. She was looking over some of her old poems when she saw her least favorite person, Ricky Dawson, heading her way.

Ricky had been bullying Karah ever since elementary school; so, she was not surprised when his shadow loomed over her and she heard his burly voice say, “Another poem, Karah? This must be a good one; let me read it to everyone.” Before she could stop him, he was already loudly reciting his own imaginary cruel poem, “It’s called Ode to a Geek.”
“Ricky, please don’t do this,” Karah begged but he continued reciting without giving her a second thought.

“My name is Karah. I’m such a geek. I do my clothes shopping in the trash by the street.” The other kids in the library began to explode with laughter.
“Ricky, stop!” Karah cried; however, because of the roaring laughter no one could hear her pleas.
“My hair is so ugly, my glasses so thick. When people see me, they just get sick.”
Visibly upset,
Karah immediately left the library without her things. The librarian, oblivious to what was taking place, told the group to be quiet and she resumed her work.

A few minutes later, Karah went to her locker with tears in her eyes. As she was getting her books, a note fell to her feet. Quickly she began to read it to herself.

“I’m such a baby, I cry myself to sleep. I run and I cry while I look at my feet.” Ricky’s words, which had become her own private terror, had followed her into the hallway.

Just then Karah’s closest friend Michael came running down the stairs, distracting her from the note. “Karah, what happened?” he asked, breathlessly.
“Nothing,” she replied, trying to hide her red eyes. “Ricky was just saying some mean things is all.”

“Well, you should do something,” her friend suggested. “You’re a good person and don’t deserve to be treated like that,” Michael said. The ringing of the bell ended their conversation as the two had to hurry to their homerooms.

After Karah arrived home that afternoon, she began emptying her backpack and found the note crumpled at the bottom. Although feeling as she may regret it later, she began to read the rest of the note:

“You’ll never learn, you stupid little girl. Big guys like me will always rule the world. You’re just a chicken; you won’t do anything. I’m a puppet master and you’re on my string. If you ever tell anyone the things that I’ve said, you might as well go and lie down in your bed. ‘Cause the things that I’ll tell all the kids in the school will ensure that everyone thinks you are a fool.”Yours truly, Ricky “Puppet Master” Dawson.

Karah’s conscience suddenly gave way to anger and rage. She ripped apart the note, threw it on the floor, retrieved her backpack and went to the kitchen. There she opened the drawer and put a shiny object into her bag.

The next morning Karah found Ricky in his usual place in the library. She casually walked over to him and almost too cheerfully exclaimed, “Hello Ricky!”
“Well, well, what do we have here guys? I guess they don’t always keep the geeks on a leash,” he answered.

“I have something for you, Ricky.” And without a moment’s thought, Karah reached into her backpack and pulled out a knife.

Nearly a month later, Ricky Dawson walked out of the hospital after making a miraculous recovery. Karah had narrowly missed puncturing his carotid artery. She was immediately sent for psychological testing and was deemed mentally unstable. After the incident, Ricky was very hesitant about bullying again.

As was stated earlier, this was merely a fictional scenario and does not depict reality. If someone is being bullied, he or she should tell an adult immediately. No victim should take revenge into his or her own hands. People taking actions against bullying could lead to someone being seriously injured or cause death.

Tyler L. said...
This story really meant a lot to me. I really think that it realtes to children all over the world.