Shattered Glass | Teen Ink

Shattered Glass

Broken beer bottles and dirty laundry littered the floor of that cold place they called home. A young girl restrained by the cruel words of those who were near, a teenage boy rebelling for the sheer recognition, a family shattered by the choking clutch of alcohol.

I often wondered, “Why me, why us?!” It seemed as though Zeus himself had thrown one of his mighty lightning bolts to shatter the foundation of our home, but had there ever been a foundation, had they ever cared, ever loved?

I had to leave, to get away from the strong hands, the loud voices, the shattered glass, so out I went, out into the cold, dark night. No one to comfort me, nothing to keep me warm, no safety, though I should be used to this by now. I crawl into the crimson tube at the playground and sleep, sleep peacefully for the first time in my life. No yelling, no slammed doors, no pain. Just the same cold shivers I’ve always felt at home…

Playgrounds are a place of fun and wonder, of friends and childlike innocence, but for me, they were symbolic of late nights and loud voices, of hurtful words and simple desperation…

on Dec. 5 2008 at 2:05 am
I thought the writing was nice and secure. I liked the way you wrote it, your attitude, and the child fear... though I wish I really was inside her head. I mean, I saw what she might have thought, what anyone would have thought. I'm saying that you could have pursued a more detailed path. However, this was an interesting read, and I enjoyed it. Keep writing. I can tell the journey has only just begun. I hope to see you at the top of the writing chain one day.

futurprez said...
on Nov. 26 2008 at 5:31 am
that was really great! you really captured what a child inn a broken home feels like. keep it up!

SethReineke said...
on Sep. 17 2008 at 2:26 am
Nice job Alyson

Aphrodite said...
on Sep. 16 2008 at 12:02 am
Wow Aly.. this poem hit me hard. It triggered a series of flashbacks and really made me think and remember my childhood. Not just the negative side of it, but also those sacred safe spots where I went to get away to be alone. Keep the creativity flowing love!