Out of the Darkness | Teen Ink

Out of the Darkness

By OMGitsCHARLAY GOLD, Canton, New York
OMGitsCHARLAY GOLD, Canton, New York

"No one told me there were penguins in these cookies!!!!" ~ Me, Sophomore Year.

The woods were oddly silent as Sara walked. Not even the sound of her footsteps could be heard. She looked straight forward as she trudged along, trying to ignore the twinkle of faery wings around her. She was on a mission, set and determined to reach the lake Krates had told her about, nothing, absolutely nothing was going to distract her. She needed to find her father, not matter the cost.

The wind picked up, blowing the fiery locks out of her face. Water began to fill the oddly blue eyes of the young Witch. She lifted a still cloaked arm and wiped the unshed tears from her face. The wind was a little intense, but Sara was not going to let anything get in her way. Well…Almost anything.

As she reached the halfway mark, her foot caught a hole in the hem of her cloak, tripping her. Sara fell with a loud thud on the dirt ground. She groaned as she placed her hands on both sides of her, pushing herself up and onto her feet. She huffed slightly as she brushed off the front of the black cloak. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea to wear this in the forest... Sara thought to herself. So she did one thing that she knew would prevent any more accidents. She unfastened the ties to the cloak, slipping it off of her shoulders. She tossed the article of clothing onto the ground, leaving her only in the black tank top over the crimson long sleeved, and the crimson khaki’s. It was the only outfit that actually let her fit in with the “Underworld,” so it was the one she wore the most.

After a few more minutes of walking, Sara grew weary. The parcel that was still in her satchel was weighing her down. Why could she not look at it? Was it something like Pandora’s Box? Would some evil creature run out of the woods and eat her? She really had no clue, and she was extremely against finding out.

Sara snapped her head to the side as she heard someone whisper in her ear. She glared at the retreating form of a green faery. She turned her head once more, hearing the light, melodic giggle of a Wood Nymph, not too far off. This was odd… It’s almost like the creatures in this forest don’t want me finding my father… She thought to herself lightly. It was an odd theory, but it was possible.

Honestly, Sara did not want to see her father again. According to Krates, her Mavrik had changed a great deal, that not a bit of kindness was left in his soul. That it was almost as if he did not have a soul…

The red-head jumped as a footstep sounded behind her. She turned, only to see leaves being swirled by the taunting wind. Sara continued down the path beneath her feet until she reached her destination. The Lake would not be far off. She stepped three paces to the left, past the crying Elf, and two paces forward, where a tall woman with flowing blue hair sat on a rock, legs crossed, looking bored.

She picked up her head though, as Sara approached. “Oh! Hello there deary. Might you be trying to find the Lake?” Sara simply looked at the woman in awe. She wore a long, flowing blue dress, it almost looked like her hair. And she had blue and white Water Lilies in her hair. All she could do is nod. “Well. You’ve come to the right place. I am the Water Nymph, Nora. And I just happen to be this Lake’s Guardian.” She said this all matter-of-factly. Like Sara should have a clue about who she was. When Nora saw that the red-head did not know what she was talking about, she frowned. “Oh well… Worth a try to get known.” She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. She held out a long arm to her right. There was a slight shimmer before the lake appeared before Sara. “Don’t look back or the gate will disappear.” She warned.

Sara simply nodded and headed to the Lake that was now in front of her. She heard a splash and ducked behind some bushes, hoping she had not been seen. She heard the splash again and peeked her head up over the shrubs. Her eyes widened at what they saw. It was not her father, but Krates, playing with a baby Centaur. He had betrayed her once more… Or maybe not.

Sara froze as she heard footsteps behind her. She refused to turn around, afraid of what she might see. Krates had said her father was here-

“And that I am Young One.” The voice behind her said icily. She knew that voice, had grown up with that voice, but then again…It had changed so much. There was no longer love, only hate. “Well Sara…Don’t be afraid. Aren’t I special enough to get a ‘Welcome Back’?” Before she could respond, a hand flew up, catching her around the neck. She tried to gasp, but no oxygen came out.

She was only able to whisper three little words… “Welcome back Father.” …Before her world went black.

unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

wow......................FANTASTIC! consider me a fan! I have commented on all of your stories! :)